Kitchen?

kingdomx

Recently my class studied this really weird book called 'Kitchen'.

It's a Japanese books, but was translated into English by a translator.

Apparatly it's appealing to Japanese teenagers, but I found it quite different.

It's about this girl who likes Kitchens and wants to die in a kitchen....

I havent completely finished it yet, but it's getting a bit better.

But still quite weird..

Anyone else studied it?

I have, and a novelta that was in the book called moonlight shadow or something. I didn't really like it, although it had some good parts. I liked the Moonlight Shadow better than Kitchen, since it actually gets resolved. There is very little literary material in this book, which is why only a few people got to do IOP's on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am going to have to disagree here. :blink:

I studied both works last year and used them in my World Lit Paper 1 (along with another novel). First off, she doesn't want to die in a kitchen ... She does, though, feel this intimate bond with it. Despite having lost all the members of her family, her love of the kitchen is her one constant. And I actually really liked how almost detached she was at times. She often expresses her depression, but she focuses on physical things, which explains how her emotions can change so quickly.

And actually, in Japanese literature, things are seldom resolved, reflecting the culture's zen school of thought. The open interpretation is kind of the point. So I would actual argue that not everything's resolved in 'Moonlight Shadow', either. Yes, she comes to terms with her boyfriend's death, but her relationship with the brother is still entirely open.

I did like 'Moonlight Shadow' more, though. Mostly because I think the characters are given a little more history and development. But the lack of it in Kitchen does reflect the overall mood, so I almost like it, from a stylistic perspective.

But decide for yourself which is better. 'Moonlight Shadow' is fairly short and a very pleasant read. :yes: Oh, but I definitely see why you find it odd. I completely agree. I think I'm of the opinion that Japanese literature is interesting ... but maybe not quite to my taste.

Edited by Meraki

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Gosh, I feel like I am dragging this post out from a while ago, but I have just recently started to discuss Kitchen in my classes and this is the first book that our teacher has allowed to be self read in but when we read and what we are looking for. At the end we have to lead a student lead discussion with our partner for about 10 minutes and I was wondering if someone has ideas on good themes, topic, motifs, etc. to track in order to give a presentation. The only things I can think of right now has to do with my World Lit 1 paper...

• 6 months later...

[quote name='Ccroo' timestamp='1300302448' post='106478']
Gosh, I feel like I am dragging this post out from a while ago, but I have just recently started to discuss Kitchen in my classes and this is the first book that our teacher has allowed to be self read in but when we read and what we are looking for. At the end we have to lead a student lead discussion with our partner for about 10 minutes and I was wondering if someone has ideas on good themes, topic, motifs, etc. to track in order to give a presentation. The only things I can think of right now has to do with my World Lit 1 paper...
[/quote]

This is so late, but if it's useful to anyone...

Themes:
- death (dealing with it, the inevitability of it)
- loneliness/isolation/alienation
- love (Mikage seems to be grappling with what love means to her. derives comfort from the metal fridge?)
- memories/sentimentality/nostalgia (look at Yuichi's and Mikage's differing responses to this)
- independence/conformity
- nature and its relation to the characters

Recurrent images/ideas:
- food and its symbolic meaning: what is eaten, whom you cook for
- light: moon, glow of objects
- silence

It's not my favourite book, but it's not terrible either.
Hope this was useful!

• 1 year later...

I think most japanese girls like "Kitchen" because it resembles a Manga plot.
If you notice, in mangas the girls mostly cook for the guy they like, same in the novel, where Mikage makes a whole big meal for quichi, because he was sad.
Also other sceens who seem a little too cheesy, but its a nice novel 

• 8 years later...