Ideas for my theme (Fashion)

sqzee

Dear IB survivers, I need your help!

I have chosen the theme of fashion because I love fashion and everything about it. I have been getting good grades 6/7 but I feel like I need something to definitively push me on the side of 7. The IB loves pieces with deeper menings and cultural/social/politcal bladibla values and I have a hard time comming up with stuff like this for fashion, as it is a bit superficial and I have stressed the point of aesthetic value for quite some time.

Any ideas? Or maybe an artist that has a smiliar theme? I can find fashion photographers and illustrators but I have a hard time describing the purpose of their work other than to display clothes... and that seems a bit flat.

• 3 weeks later...

I have chosen the theme of fashion because I love fashion and everything about it. I have been getting good grades 6/7 but I feel like I need something to definitively push me on the side of 7. The IB loves pieces with deeper menings and cultural/social/politcal bladibla values and I have a hard time comming up with stuff like this for fashion, as it is a bit superficial and I have stressed the point of aesthetic value for quite some time.

Any ideas? Or maybe an artist that has a smiliar theme? I can find fashion photographers and illustrators but I have a hard time describing the purpose of their work other than to display clothes... and that seems a bit flat.

I've got the same problem, I can't think of any theme with a deeper meaning that I could turn into visual arts. I also wanted to do something like fashion. But I dissmised it because not only because of the deeper meaning problem but also because my teacher couldn't help me. But if your teacher's willingly to support your idea you could make something out of it. I think fashion is an interesting theme!

Maybe you should think of something like: 'fashion- how it's worn on different purposes and what it expresses' and then it's not only about displaying clothes but also about making a composition between colour/design and giving it a purpose...

I think it's helpful to talk with friends/family about the theme to get more ideas and inspirations!

• 1 month later...

I think you could delve into the history of fashion. Like how/where your designs fit into the greater picture.

For examples of weird fashion-social-historical commentary look up videos of Lady Gaga talking about her weird outfits. It seems to me that she truly gets her inspiration from something definite in the first place but you could easily work backwards!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of taking 'fashion' as theme of visual arts as well, but i'm not sure.

How did you 'survive' it?

Is it fine or is it way to hard?

And where did you get all your ideas from?

i hope you can answer me :D

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to work on the theme of fashion probably you should relate it with yourself and the cultural context you live in or to the way you feel in this moment of your life. For example, one student of my school presented this theme but the tittle of her exposition was the popular culture and it's influences in the peruvian context. She managed to use a lot of different materials to create a wide variety of outfits which had a very strong message.

If you really want to work in this theme then do it! Don't you just step back because you don't know how to deal with it. What my teacher told us in the beginnin of the second year was that if we haven't chosen our theme or weren't sure about it then don't worry about it! You just start creating and when you have a couple of works then you should take a look at them and think what's the common thing that they have and generate a proper theme.

Make a lot of research though!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm on my second year now with this theme and I think I might hve cracked it. I have decided to not use a lot of my more superficial pieces which leaves me with about 5 pieces... I'm HL so I have tons to do. My theme has focused to be fashion inspired but now I am doing more detailed pieces. Some are focused on aethetics some are focused on what people wear, why and what how people chose to express themselves.

But I gotta hurry up and be brilliant! I feel like I'm on a role at the moment but I also really need it.

• 3 months later...

I am also doing fashion for most of my art pieces. Since I am Korean-American, i used that as a starting point for my theme, which basically focuses on merging Korean culture with American culture and representing that in fabric/garments. So I research traditional Korean artwork, etc., and examples of Western traditional artwork and use those to inform my pieces. IB looooves culture, so it should be satisfactory at least I hope :P

Hope that helps a bit.