Physics Options

Caitlin

Physics HL options  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Which Physics HL option are you doing/have done?

• Relativity
    • Medical physics
    • Particle physics
    • Astrophysics
    • Communications
    • Electromagnetic waves

Thanks guys for the prompt replies. I know the risk I'm taking, but it's just that I understand relativity more than I do astrophysics. Part of the reason I'm doing this is also since our teacher this year doesn't seem to teach very well (it was pretty okay for the 1st year). I don't really want to put the blame on my teacher, but most of the physics students would agree with me.

Hopefully the topic I'm doing instead won't be that difficult on the exam.

Thanks guys for the prompt replies. I know the risk I'm taking, but it's just that I understand relativity more than I do astrophysics. Part of the reason I'm doing this is also since our teacher this year doesn't seem to teach very well (it was pretty okay for the 1st year). I don't really want to put the blame on my teacher, but most of the physics students would agree with me.

Hopefully the topic I'm doing instead won't be that difficult on the exam.

According to what I've heard, astrophysics is the easiest option and relativity seems really hard to me at least. I understand if your teacher is bad, but won't it be better learning the taught option yourself or does the teacher actually prevent your understanding?

Hey.

My school doesn't offer IB Physics as a class, but there's a similar course called Advanced Program (AP) Physics B. Our teacher has taught HL Physics several years ago when there were enough students who wanted to take it as a class, but he's never taught standard level. AP Phys is supposed to "overprepare" us for the SL exam, but I don't even know what the exam is like. Can anyone help? Specifically, for SL, do we only need to pick one option? As far as I know, HL will do 3 options, but I'm clueless about SL.

Thanks for any help

Does anyone take Option I: Medical Physics? (Just HL Option)

If so any way i can find information about it on internet?

I've looked in a couple of places, and our teacher didn't even teach us the option, we did astrophysics and then told us to do another one, basically by ourselves.

I would be really grateful for any help, as it's basically theory

Thanks

Okay. I need some advice

My teacher has only taught optics (and we're still learning it right now).

I know a little bit about nuclear and quantum from an advanced level, nonIB chemistry course.

So for my 2nd option, would it be better to start learning astrophysics because the teacher hasn't touched on it at all (and he will not teach it) or might it be better to do nuclear/quantum physics because I already know some of the basics?

I took Relativity and Astrophysics and Astrophysics did involve a lot more information to remember. But I found Astrophysics to be such an interesting topic that it ended up being a lot easier than Relativity. Thats not to say that Relativity wasn't awesome, though.

But back to the original poster: if you really feel a lot more confident on Relativity then do some past papers and if you do better on Relativity than on Astrophysics then definitely go with it for the IB exam.