Physics Options

Caitlin

Physics HL options  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Which Physics HL option are you doing/have done?

• Relativity
    • Medical physics
    • Particle physics
    • Astrophysics
    • Communications
    • Electromagnetic waves

At my school, they chhose for you too, but if you want to take another option then you have to do it urself, that sucks :S ,, the ones i chose were Digital Technology and Communications and Mechanics. Mechanics i was taught, but the rest i will have to do my self. Should i just do Relativity and Optics with my teacher of DT and Comm by myself, I wanna go for Mechatronics/Engineering Science in Uni? :)

At my school, they chhose for you too, but if you want to take another option then you have to do it urself, that sucks :S ,, the ones i chose were Digital Technology and Communications and Mechanics. Mechanics i was taught, but the rest i will have to do my self. Should i just do Relativity and Optics with my teacher of DT and Comm by myself, I wanna go for Mechatronics/Engineering Science in Uni? :)

At least they let you do a different option, even if you have to study it by yourself. At my school, if I said that I would study a different option, the teacher would simply laugh at my face.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wish we could pick our own options... I'm in HL physics and we ended up with Optics and... something else we haven't done. Hopefully it's Astrophyics, because given the choice, I would have done that and Relativity. Interesting things, but my teacher just didn't want to teach Relativity and as such didn't pick it :/.

• 1 month later...

Having already completed the Nuclear and Quantum Physics option, I can say that you might want to try some other option. According to some, it is easy, but personally I've found it very confusing and much more difficult than the core material. We've also covered about half of the Electromagnetic Waves option, especially the Optics part. I can recommend you choose it as an option, optics is very straightforward and logical, when you remember a few basic things about lenses, you're guaranteed high marks in the question.

I echo deissi above in saying that stay away from Nuclear Physics. It's awfully confusing, and a lot different from the core subject material.

If you can, stay away from the mechanics extension as well (Option A from the old syllabus).

I'm in HL, so I have done the Wave phenomena part of option A, the full quantum and nuclear physics option (B), the Digital technology part of option C and the full Astrophysics option (E).

Those I think are the easiest of those two are Option C and E. Atrophysics is quite fun as well, which doesn't hurt.

Aboo: There is no longer a mechanics extension.

• 1 month later...

My teacher decided to pick astrophysics and optics. The astrophysics was an interesting topic, but I had hard time understanding some of the lectures since it quite hard to imagine what happens in the universe. The optics was a matter of recalling my memory in grade ten. The coverage was similar to what i studied in my first year of high school

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I know this has been asked many times before, but can we actually do different options than the ones learnt in class for HL physics (I want to do relativity instead of astrophysics for May 2009 exam). I've searched previously and people have said it's fine. The reason I'm asking this again is because of a sheet we filled out that is sent to the IB(which lists our IA grades and hours spent on topics - including astrophysics). I'm afraid that they may not be consistent, and if the teacher lists astrophysics as an option, I don't want to get a zero because of a silly mistake. I assume this is irrelevant to the examiners, since they will have many papers from different schools to mark, and will be grading many different options. It might be awkward though, when the examiner sees an odd one out for my school. I also doubt they care about my option choice.

Thanks in advance.

PS. If you want to know why I am doing relativity, it's simply because I'm more confident with this topic than astrophysics.

Hey guys,

I know this has been asked many times before, but can we actually do different options than the ones learnt in class for HL physics (I want to do relativity instead of astrophysics for May 2009 exam). I've searched previously and people have said it's fine. The reason I'm asking this again is because of a sheet we filled out that is sent to the IB(which lists our IA grades and hours spent on topics - including astrophysics). I'm afraid that they may not be consistent, and if the teacher lists astrophysics as an option, I don't want to get a zero because of a silly mistake. I assume this is irrelevant to the examiners, since they will have many papers from different schools to mark, and will be grading many different options. It might be awkward though, when the examiner sees an odd one out for my school. I also doubt they care about my option choice.

Thanks in advance.

PS. If you want to know why I am doing relativity, it's simply because I'm more confident with this topic than astrophysics.

You're fine. You can do any two options you want on the actual exam, even if you didn't study them in class. The school doesn't register you for options for physics, like they do in maths, so they can't penalise you. I think a fair few people change right before the exams because their option was poorly taught in class. So, don't worry. :S