#6 "There are no absolute distinctions between what is true and what is false". Discuss this claim.

Ruby So

• 2 weeks later...

We have to chose betweeen that essay or #8 Art is a lie that brings us closer to the truth. Evaluate this claim in relation to a specific art form. I thought I could write more about number 6 but I'm completely stuck on where to begin. I was going to write something about religion and how to some people that is true but to others its false. But I dont know if thats good or not.

Hmm I personally really, really like #8, but that's me.

Yes, religion would be good, as would ethics, but I think that you can show this claim as feasible in areas of knowledge that seem more 'objective.' You'd have to be more creative, but if you're going to choose #8, you'll look at counterclaims, and a big one [if you agree with the title] is what about in math or the human sciences or ______. You could say that the claim is true in x and y AOK but not in z AOK. Know what I'm saying?

I wouldn't touch this topic because I'm just not prepared to talk about 'true' and 'false.'m I can talk about knowledge to some extent, but talking about truth is hard because I don't know much about truth, and I mean that as a student of TOK and as a person who is trying to figure out what's real and what's not in the world.

I don't know how useful my advice is because I can't really relate to #6 as well as I could for #8. I absolutely love literature and I love analyzing and talking about it. I'd love to do #8. If that's how you feel for #6, think about how you can connect with your topic & try to find examples in your life. That's how I'd go.

Well I encourage you to look over the ten titles again, but this time, look for what you can talk about AND what you'd like to talk about. I'm actually writing my essay right now on a May 10 title [yeah, it's kinda late], and I chose one that I hadn't really thought about but I could support. I love quotations and was attracted to the titles with quotations haha.

So what I'm trying to say is if you picked 6 & 8 because they seemed easier to you [although they don't seem easy to me at all], try to find something that really piques your interest. It's easier to relate to your life and find examples for, I've found.

For 8, I'd talk about literature, music, theater arts, I guess. I'd look at authors, composers, playwrights, actors, etc who were trying to tell the world something through their works. Have you heard of A Modest Proposal? It's short and to the point and it just blew my mind when I read it two years ago. It still does. Fiction.. has such a great influence on our lives. It changes how we think, what we see, what we consider important, etc. And music... it's both a reflection of society and a sculptor of it. But please find things that you feel strongly about and talk about them. G'luck =)

Okay. I was confused because your exam date is set for May 2010, not 2011. Anyways, I'll adjust the title of this thread so that it can be the official #6 thread for N10M11. G'luck on the essay.

hi all,

i am planning to my TOK essay on "There are no absolute distinctions between what is true and what is false. Discuss this claim"

but i am struggling with the intro...

where can i start???

please help

I don't usually know what to include in the intro until I know what I'm going to write in the body of the essay. I outline my entire essay and as I go through different examples and points in the body paragraphs, I jot down things I should say in the intro to get the reader to know where I'm coming from. In addition to little details that should be explained, I add a sentence or two that kind of summarizes what my argument for the essay is.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am writing on this topic as well. I saw this quote by Buddha, “In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.” and I am trying to figure out ways to elaborate on this train of thought. Or perhaps I headed in the wrong direction. Other opinions would be awesome :P

I am writing on this topic as well. I saw this quote by Buddha, “In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.” and I am trying to figure out ways to elaborate on this train of thought. Or perhaps I headed in the wrong direction. Other opinions would be awesome :P

I think the main thing you could take from it would be that the concepts of truth and falsehood are internal; we invent them to help us translate the world into our own mental view but actually they are only our own distinctions (which I think it what that quote is trying to say). You could potentially use it as a starting point to support the statement made in the question (although you'd have to come up with an example to show this nebulous state of affairs re: true and false) and then move on to areas where things ARE distinctly true or false. For instance in maths things are either true or false -- is that an example of a human-only distinction or is that a real distinction? That sort of thing could potentially form part of an essay.

TBH I'd never ever do this essay in a million years because you'd inevitably have to start out by defining what true and false mean -- for which you'd require the whole body of the essay!

• 2 weeks later...

hi.:') i am also doing this topic and have some questions.

i have a paragraph where i sorta linked topic 6 to 8, quoting picaso's words, "Art is a lie (? can't remember the topic well).

should I exclude this quotation because it's in a topic? I think the examiner would hate it for being not creative, but I think these two topics are have strong links.

I also found it quite boring to talk about the AoK in science and maths in terms of truth and false, since there are lots of cliches like the earth is a sphere. Do u have any amazing ideas to make this AoK more interesting? and i am starting to think that such concepts of truth and false don't exist, but sorta created for convience temporarilly.. I am still confused and i don't even know what i am talkin about now.X)

lastly, i did not talk about religions because it was very hard for me to relate the beliefs to truth and false. but instead, i included art as AoK. My question is, is ethics very important in this topic? (i did not talk about ethics...) and do you think art can be explained with ethics?

Thank u :') !!

• 1 month later...

hello guys i m planning to take this topic for my essay....

can anyone tell what does the TOK title #6 2010-11, "there are no absolute distinction between what is true and what is false discuss the claim."mean?

i think it will be helpfull if i can know the different ways in which the topic can be interpretated..... :)

and what are the different issues which one can relate with the tittle

thanks

:)

• 1 month later...

erm well I'm looking to the question number 6 as well. I would think I would begin by defining truth and false avoiding any waffling. the word limit is not a lot. I thought that talking about religion was no acceptable for TOK but you could use it as an example. Could also talk about truth in science in relation to history and others areas of knowledge. Adding a personal experience is vital, it gets you the higher mark. doesn't really have to be true tbh.