French B

Ashika

Probably because you live in Canada so you have a better command of the language. It might be easy though, but I'm in no means fluent and my vocab sucks so I think I'll have to work harder. That said, I don't have the time to do anything more ;):D

Hey, I finished French B SL last year and it by no means requires anywhere near fluency if you want to do well. I always thought that Language B HL was not a great class to choose. If you're not really good at the language, just stick to SL and get a very easy high mark; universities (as far as I know) don't really regard B HLs as anything special. If you are fluent, take the language at A1 or A2 and get yourself a bilingual diploma; also, you'll save yourself classtime during which you'd otherwise be bored out of your mind, even in B HL, never mind B SL (a few students in my B SL were fluent, I can only imagine how mind-numbingly boring that class was for them). In short, if you can avoid B HL, I think you should. And if you can't, and you find it ridiculously easy, its not going to get any harder.

Hope it helps.

Yes, but only because my teacher hasn't a flipping clue as to what she's doing. I haven't learned anything since Pre-IB French. The downside, of course, is that I'm going to score really poorly on the IB exam, which is just pathetic because it's French, and SL at that. *cries* At the moment I'm regretting taking French at my school since our Spanish SL and HL are both really strong. I think my teacher has gotten one 7 on the French SL exam (we only offer SL - I can't imagine how badly we'd all fail if we had HL) in her 12 years of teaching.

I originally chose French because I was born in Canada, lived there until I was 8, and was basically fluent when my family moved here to the US. Too bad all my French knowledge went down the drain ;)

Ah well, I guess I'll just have to work harder at memorizing some vocab so my writing improves...

• 2 weeks later...
what's the structure? for me and my weakness being language creating problems, special attention paid to french sl would help

Your French B mark is composed of 3 things. First, there is your oral presentation, which can (I think) be on any topic that is French-related. This is worth 30% of your mark. Next, there is your Paper 1, which is based on your reading comprehension. In this paper, you have to read various articles and answer questions about the articles, and then for one article you have to write an ecriture based on the article. This is worth 40% of your mark. Finally, there is your paper 2, which is based on your ability to write. You are given a choice of 4 topics, and you choose one to write about for about 250 words. This is worth 30% of your mark. In order to get a 7, you usually need about 85-87%.

Hope it helps.

Guest Mr Canada

Like 5 years ago I could speak French fluently with no problem but after going through French at Lower Secondary level in Sweden it just stopped. Didn't evolve at all with my speech or writing so my skills have been lowered quite a bit. The teacher had to ask ME questions on how the words were pronounced or spelled!!! Not good.

I find the hardest part of getting a high grade is to be able to find the right words. Without being able to get your opinion across the grades just kind of lowers itself. I guess being around the language and speaking it on a regular basis is most helpful to improve your skills in it.

• 5 weeks later...

hey,

all u guys seem to be very confident about french....but on the other hand.....all the french students including myself in our school are rly horrible.......i mean, i used to get an A in french since middle school but now, i have dropped down to a B+ :lol: i think that our class is rly bad because we have had like 6 different french teachers and they show up with different idea...

We have no HL students in our school because the only one we had....actually dropped out of french!!!! our old teacher left to US to learn how to teach IB students and now...we have this new french guy....who thinks we know everything but no one can do anything except get Bs on their assignment....

French in our school is not the best but SPanish is awesome........i regret taking french now

So far three students dropped the IB program because of french and I dont think that i will ever drop french cuz i want the diploma and i am doing rly good in all my other classes......

so guys ill b looking for all ur support......

thnx

• 3 weeks later...
Guest qzstuffs
Your French B mark is composed of 3 things. First, there is your oral presentation, which can (I think) be on any topic that is French-related. This is worth 30% of your mark. Next, there is your Paper 1, which is based on your reading comprehension. In this paper, you have to read various articles and answer questions about the articles, and then for one article you have to write an ecriture based on the article. This is worth 40% of your mark. Finally, there is your paper 2, which is based on your ability to write. You are given a choice of 4 topics, and you choose one to write about for about 250 words. This is worth 30% of your mark. In order to get a 7, you usually need about 85-87%.

Hope it helps.

any tips in oral presentation and preparing for paper 1 and 2? i want as much preparation as possible =/

Guest Igusiakisses

As far as French is concerned, my school really makes me depressed on this matter. They're telling me that only two people want to take French (including me) and thus it will not be possible :)

I've already been studying French for 3 years and I truly yearn for having it on my IB diploma programme.

I'm so infuriated, it's utterly unfair they don't want to allow it....

Edited by Igusiakisses

• 3 weeks later...
I don't find it a joke. I am bad at french B, I can't get higher than a grade 5. But that's also because my french teacher doesn't ''teach'' us, instead she ''tests'' us every day by asking questions which we are magically supposed to know the answer by...

My french teacher doesn't teach me french and my vocabular + grammar sucks. Can anyone please help me in any way? Plz

Can you be more specific as to what you need help with?

Well today I had a shocking revelation. My french teacher gave my class a mock IB exam and I found it moderately easy... then after a week he returned it to us, I got like 12 wrong (he said the grade would've been a 4.8) and after another week told us it was HL. I was sweating bullets while I was thinking it was an SL paper. =P

Does anyone else find this course a joke?

I'm doing it at HL and I have an easy 7 in it without doing anything.

I can only imagine how much more slack it'd be if I were in SL.

Hah, you're probably in the Quebec area? Us Vancouverites suck at french... I'm in French B HL too, but I don't find it "easy 7 without doing anything". Maybe an easy 5, and a not-so-bad 6... but I don't know if I can get a 7 that easily... :)

What am I to complain? French is still my third language...

Personally I find the tests rather easy (I'm B SL), but for some strange reason my teacher thinks that I haven't shown up enough my oral skills :D From paper 1 I got 38/40 points and from paper 2 26/30. Both were graded on the IB criteria. Now to me that seems to be a rather obvious 7, but no I get a 5 to my report card.

It's sort of ironic, because I've studied French for 9 years and English only for 7 years (and never lived in an English speaking country). However, I got a 6 at English A2 HL and 5 at French B SL :D