Format for IB SL French B Paper 2

Does anyone know where I can learn how to write the different formats for French B SL paper two? Our teacher did not teach us them and I hear that you get marks off if they aren't done properly...is this true?

Whoever changed my post is just rude

Edited by zaleskam
Does the thread title really have to be in Caps?
  • Like 1

Yes, this is true. It's important to know the formats. I'll share the ones that I can remember off hand. For a formal letter, esp. applying for a job, you put the address in the top left hand corner (1st line name of recipient, second line title of recipient, third line place of work, fourth line address, fifth line city and province/country, sixth line postal code.) On the top right, you write the city you're writing in, followed by a comma, and then the date with no commas.

Example.

John Smith Los Angeles, vendredi le 15 mai 2009

Head of Marketing

Main Street Bank

1 Main Street

New York City, New York

ABC 123 XYZ

You then sign off with a formal conclusion like (veuillez recevoir, monsieur le directeur, mes sentiments respectueux) and sign and print your name (one on top of the other) You can then put in the bottom left hand corner p.j. CV, which basically means you've attached your resume.

Never use cher in a formal letter.

Some sources say you need a letterhead for this, with the name of the company, but I'm not one hundred percent sure how to.

For an informal or personal letter, you put the date in the top right hand corner like before, and in the top left write cher maman or whoever. Sign off with an informal phrase like grosses bises or a bientot (bottom right), depending on the context. Then sign your name one line underneath (bottom left.)

These are two where format is really particular. I'll try to add some more later. Also, are you just looking for the physical formatting of the page, or also the phrases that are used in each type of composition as well?

• Like 1

Sorry for the double post, I'm technologically challenged so I can't figure out how to edit my previous post. The "Los Angeles, vendredi le 15 mai 2009" should not come directly after the name, but on the opposite side of the page and one line up. Sorry.

Sorry for the double post, I'm technologically challenged so I can't figure out how to edit my previous post. The "Los Angeles, vendredi le 15 mai 2009" should not come directly after the name, but on the opposite side of the page and one line up. Sorry.

Thank you! So it's kind of the same as the American way...

The formats for the different types of types are in the OSC French Revision guide, which I guess you don't have. You must also be able to write a blog on an internet page (look up the format online on a real blog; you should draw boxes, put in a web address, put some links in) as well as an internet page (same thing). You should also be able to write an email; write your name at the bottom (like a signature), draw boxes for address, object, etc. and make it look like an email basically.

For an article, you must put a title at the top, as well as the name of the article, your name at the bottom as if you were the writer in a magazine, as well as sub-titles. You must also have an introductory paragraph under your title that introduces the topic.

For formal letters, never begin letters by writing: Cher Monsieur/Chere Madame. The correct formulae, depending on whether or not you know someone, are: Madame/Monsieur (if you don't know their last name or title), Monsieur le Directeur (if you know their position, whatever the person's title is) or Madame (if you know their name).

Formal letters require an "Objet:" underneath the address of the sender, which is the purpose of the letter e.g. La construction de l'aeroport. If you are writing a job application letter, underneath "Objet:" you should write "Pieces jointes: CV", which indicates that a CV is attached. This doesn't go in the bottom left corner, as someone said before. You must also sign the bottom of the letter, first and last name (for informal letters, sign only with your first name).

You need to be able to write a speech; start it with an appropriate greeting such as "Chers collegues", "Messieurs et Mesdames", "Bonjour a toutes et a tous", "Bonjour les enfants" (depends obviously on who you are addressing). Introduce yourself if you are speaking to an unknown audience. Address the audience directly, use repetition of key phrases and link words such as "pourtant", "ainsi", etc. Thank the audience at the end and make the conclusion interesting .g. Merci our votre attention".

Those are the main types of text you need to know. An interview is also there, just title it, write an introduction to the people being interviewed and make the questions interesting, then thank the person being interviewed at the end.

You will also lose marks if you use the "vous" form to address a friend in an informal letter, and if you use the "tu" form to address someone in a formal letter.

Hm, web-pages and e-mails? I think they might only be for B HL... I've never encountered those on any of the P2s I've looked at it, but I'm guessing an e-mail would be similar to a letter. :)

On my contributions page, I do have a guide to writing formats and structures for Paper 2 that I made from looking at old P2 markschemes, but that'd require VIP. :/ Just follow general rules. There are some things that you need to have to get 5+ marks, and others that you MUST have to get in the 9-10 range. Overall, I find that criterion to be kinda pointless, even if it is seen as "easy marks."

The webpages and emails are also required for French SL, I have the revision guide and it's written by an examiner. The material that is strictly higher level is: writing an editorial, a dissertation (essay), a tract/appel and a proposition.

All French students need to be able to write the following (copied from my revision guide):

-un journal intime/blog

-un article

-une lettre officielle (une lettre de reclamation (letter of complaint)/candidature/a un auteur)

-une lettre a un ami

-un discours (a speech)

-le guide de recommandations, la brochure

-le recit d'imagination

-le compte-rendu

-une declaration a la police

-une critique d'un film/livre

-une anecdote

-une page internet

The declaration to the police rarely shows up. An anecdote is a funny story. The compte-rendu is a factual account of an event such as a school trip to Cambodia for humanitarian work. The recit d'imagination is the task where you write part of a story based on starting sentences given to you by the question.

Yes, literally draw the webpage. As in, draw the boxes for Subject, From, To, Send, Attach, etc. Do the same for the blog.

For a film/book critique, they prefer it if you critique a Francophone book or movie, but it's not always necessary. You should compare it to other films/books you've read, if it is a movie based on a book then compare how the movie was compared to the original book, put ratings (stars) if the review is being published in a magazine, write the name of the magazine at the top, summarize the plot and make people want to go see it (don't give away the ending).

The journal entry needs to start "Cher journal" and end with a phrase similar to "Alors, je suis fatigue et il faut que j'aille me coucher. Bonne nuit, Marina" (sign your name at the bottom). Use informal language and address your journal directly (tu me comprends, etc.).

An essay? Yes, there's a "dissertation"/formal essay but that's only required at HL level. It involves presenting both sides of an argument, and convincing the audience/reader of one of them.

Oh dear, I swear half the essays we did in French class were formal essays like that, and we're SL. *soupire*

What about something like a guide of recommendations? Is it similar to a brochure or an advertisement? I sure haven't seen any brochures in recent exams, but they were definitely prominent pre-2003.

Yes, similar to a brochure. Title for it, introduction to the subject of the guide, sub-titles for headings, give advice in imperatif/il faut+infinitif/devoir+infinitif/je te conseille, etc. Use examples and made-up statistics in the guide to prove what you say. Use "tu" for a younger audience and "vous" for an older one.

For pictures, draw a box and add a caption, don't waste time drawing anything. A short, to the point conclusion is needed. And finally, put contact details at the end (for the agency or whatever).

• 4 years later...

Yes, literally draw the webpage. As in, draw the boxes for Subject, From, To, Send, Attach, etc. Do the same for the blog.

For a film/book critique, they prefer it if you critique a Francophone book or movie, but it's not always necessary. You should compare it to other films/books you've read, if it is a movie based on a book then compare how the movie was compared to the original book, put ratings (stars) if the review is being published in a magazine, write the name of the magazine at the top, summarize the plot and make people want to go see it (don't give away the ending).

The journal entry needs to start "Cher journal" and end with a phrase similar to "Alors, je suis fatigue et il faut que j'aille me coucher. Bonne nuit, Marina" (sign your name at the bottom). Use informal language and address your journal directly (tu me comprends, etc.).

So if you have to write a leaflet, how do we arrange the answer?

So if you have to write a leaflet, how do we arrange the answer?

You can arrange your page so that it actually resembles a leaflet (like turn your page landscape and draw three columns). Also, there are some things you have to make sure to do. Like, have different sections and titles, a contact page and even draw little pictures super quickly. It also has to be promoting an issue or giving advice to someone (e.g. recycling)

• 6 years later...

Hello. I need to write a letter to the UK. I wrote the letter itself, I know all the data but I need to write my zip code, is there any kind of zip code finder where I can find any zip? how do you know them if for example you only know the address, is this possible? What about this contact form? By the way, has anyone sent a business letter there? How was it?