EE in Mathematics - Chaos theory

Guest kajatty

Guest kajatty

Hello, I was searching in the internet for some EE examples or ideas, and I found this nice forum, I hope I get some ideas in here.

First of all I decided to produce my EE on Mathematics. This might surprise you but that means that I am the second student ever making an EE in mathematics in my school, no one wants to do it. I read the extended essay in mathematics that the other student produced, and it was about statistics, theme for which I hold no particular interest. I am in Higher Level mathematics, and was thinking to produce an extended essay on Chaos Theory, but I really cant think of an idea on how to approach it. It would be nice if I get some feedback from you on some ideas, or approaches I could get, I am also in Computer Science so I believe I can create a average computer program to study some formulas if needed.

thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jaspal4590

Hi there i'm in IB2 and I am currently doing an Extended Essay in Mathematics. I am about half way through my EE. Chosing a topic is very difficult in maths, i found very little help since all of most of my teachers are not extermly profficient in math.

I don't know much about chaos theory but i really recommend maybe searching through wikipedia. If you find something that has math involved then think about how you can change it, and then you can study the math behind it. This would be useful for verious games.

The thing about a math extended essay is that it needs to be 14 pages of math, this is really difficult. It might be easier to do something involved with the history of mathematics as a history topic.

As with probably any extended essay topic, i have had my fair share of ups and downs.

Hope I am of some help

-Kevin

Hello Kajjaty and Kevin,

My name is Basil El MAsri, and I'm at the Mashrek School Joprdan, in IBII. I completed my extended essay in summer. Due to the lack or resources n jordan, though I first wnted to do fractals, the nknot theory, I ended up doing "the best method to evaluate pi", which was surprisingly al ot more interesting and had potential for originiality than I thought. It's 31 pages, though if you got rid of the graphs and spaces, I'd estimate 17.

Kajjaty, about chaos theory, excellent idea. Basiclaly, you'd have to analyze fractals, there's a lot of math and properties behind them. You're computer science background would be excellent to desgin fractals, if you have slight graphics background. For example, I wrote my own programs to analyze the accuracy and rates of convergence of all the different series and recursive algorithms to determine the value of Pi.

I'd send you guys my EE, but it was suggested I don't post it until after I get my diploma, so that I don't get nailed for Collusion, or have others plagiarize.

Good luck.

Also, in regrards to kevin's idea, I would only suggest history if you went through the development of the math, and you made sure to analyze how calculations were done in different times and advantages and disadvantages, and keep al the discussion on the math, not the mathematicians (lives,e vents, etc.)

Edited by basilmasri21
  • Like 1

• 12 years later...
On 10/15/2007 at 6:59 PM, basilmasri21 said:

Hello Kajjaty and Kevin,

My name is Basil El MAsri, and I'm at the Mashrek School Joprdan, in IBII. I completed my extended essay in summer. Due to the lack or resources n jordan, though I first wnted to do fractals, the nknot theory, I ended up doing "the best method to evaluate pi", which was surprisingly al ot more interesting and had potential for originiality than I thought. It's 31 pages, though if you got rid of the graphs and spaces, I'd estimate 17.

Kajjaty, about chaos theory, excellent idea. Basiclaly, you'd have to analyze fractals, there's a lot of math and properties behind them. You're computer science background would be excellent to desgin fractals, if you have slight graphics background. For example, I wrote my own programs to analyze the accuracy and rates of convergence of all the different series and recursive algorithms to determine the value of Pi.

I'd send you guys my EE, but it was suggested I don't post it until after I get my diploma, so that I don't get nailed for Collusion, or have others plagiarize.

Good luck.

Also, in regrards to kevin's idea, I would only suggest history if you went through the development of the math, and you made sure to analyze how calculations were done in different times and advantages and disadvantages, and keep al the discussion on the math, not the mathematicians (lives,e vents, etc.)

Hi, how did you do for your EE after that? I was thinking of doing something similar to your topic, so I would highly appreciate if i could get some tips from you, thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2007 at 6:59 PM, basilmasri21 said:

Hello Kajjaty and Kevin,

Good luck.

Hi, do you mind sending me your EE? I am doing a similar evaluative math EE and it would be greatly appreciated if I could receive some help regarding this!