English B EE the perks of being a wallflower

Helppppp

HELP! I am doing my EE in english B, and my RQ is “to what extent does Bill, Charlie’s English teacher, contribute to his character development in The perks of being a Wallflower?” and my supervisor accepted this. However, I am not sure whether this topic/question fits any of the 3 english B categories. I wanted to make it a category 3 essay,  a literary analysis, but i’m not sure if it focuses on literature enough. To answer my RQ I wanted to mention factors such as books as a symbol, and the intertextuality connected to those books, and how his character develops in general. Pls HELP! is this good or does it not fit the category?

Hey there. It seems you have chosen an interesting subject for your Extended Essay in English B.

Just to clarify, the three categories in English B are:

• Category 1: Language
  • Category 2: Culture and Society
  • Category 3: Literature

Based on your research question (RQ) "To what extent does Bill, Charlie’s English teacher, contribute to his character development in The Perks of Being a Wallflower?", it seems you're on the right track for a Category 3 literature-focused essay.

Category 3 essays should be focused on a literary topic related to a work, or works, of literature. Your topic appears to meet this criteria as it is exploring the contribution of a specific character (Bill) to the development of the protagonist (Charlie) in a specific novel (The Perks of Being a Wallflower).

In terms of your methodology, analyzing the use of literary devices such as symbolism and intertextuality, as well as discussing character development, is a valid approach for a literature-focused essay.

However, the key to a successful Category 3 essay is ensuring your focus is squarely on the literature itself. Make sure your essay is grounded in a thorough and detailed analysis of the novel, using relevant quotations and examples to support your points.

Your topic should also demonstrate a critical understanding of the work, its context, and its literary merit.

This could involve considering questions like:

• What does Bill's guidance and the books he recommends reveal about Charlie's character and his journey throughout the novel?
  • How does the use of literary references and intertextuality in the novel contribute to our understanding of Charlie's character and his development?
  • What does the novel suggest about the role of literature and education in personal development and self-discovery?

Remember, the Extended Essay is a rigorous research project, and demonstrating a comprehensive and nuanced understanding of your chosen work of literature is essential. 

Hope it helps ☺️