Need help for my chem ee topic

Errrrrrin

My chem ee is researching a substance contained in red wine. One of my teachers told me is inappropriate because the school does not allow any alcohol. But I still want to keep this topic concerning whether research on red wine will affect my grades.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:31 PM, Errrrrrin said:

My chem ee is researching a substance contained in red wine. One of my teachers told me is inappropriate because the school does not allow any alcohol. But I still want to keep this topic concerning whether research on red wine will affect my grades.

Your topic sounds interesting, and it's important to note that scientific research often deals with substances like alcohol from an analytical and objective standpoint.

However, your teacher's advice may stem from school policies, which you should definitely take into consideration. School rules and regulations differ widely, and it's important to respect them. If your school does not allow any projects related to alcohol, you may have to reconsider your topic.

You should consult with your EE supervisor or coordinator to understand the school's stance more clearly. They can also guide you regarding the International Baccalaureate's perspective on this issue.

As I know, the IB doesn't explicitly prohibit topics related to alcohol. But, the project must maintain an academic and objective tone, and it should not in any way promote or glorify the consumption of alcohol.

The substance in red wine that often gets researched is resveratrol, a compound with potential health benefits. If your research is focused on this compound, or a similar one, rather than the wine itself, you might be able to make a case for the scientific merit of your project.

However, you should be prepared with an alternative topic in case your current choice doesn't get approval. There are numerous interesting and relevant topics in chemistry that you can explore for your EE.

Here are five alternative chemistry-based Extended Essay topics that you might consider:

The Chemistry of Vitamin C Degradation in Fruit Juices

This could investigate the degradation of ascorbic acid in various fruit juices over time, or due to heat and light exposure.

Analysis of Caffeine in Different Types of Coffee

This could involve extracting and quantifying caffeine from different types of coffee (e.g., espresso, drip coffee, instant coffee, etc.) and analyzing the results.

The Effect of Cooking on Nutrient Content in Vegetables

You could explore how different cooking methods (boiling, steaming, roasting) impact the nutrient content, specifically focusing on one or two nutrients such as Vitamin C or iron.

Investigating the Effectiveness of Different Sunscreen SPF Levels

You could investigate the chemical differences between sunscreens of different SPF levels and test their effectiveness under various conditions.

Chemical Analysis of Local Water Sources

Analyze and compare the chemical composition of different water sources in your local area (like tap water, well water, bottled water) for elements such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potential contaminants like lead or microplastics.

Remember, it's crucial that the topic you choose is one you're genuinely interested in. A successful Extended Essay requires a significant amount of research and work, and passion for your topic will make the process far more enjoyable and fulfilling. Additionally, feasibility is key – make sure you have access to the equipment and materials you'll need for your research.

Consult with your teacher or supervisor before finalizing your topic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 8:21 PM, AnnaHoffman said:

Your topic sounds interesting, and it's important to note that scientific research often deals with substances like alcohol from an analytical and objective standpoint.

However, your teacher's advice may stem from school policies, which you should definitely take into consideration. School rules and regulations differ widely, and it's important to respect them. If your school does not allow any projects related to alcohol, you may have to reconsider your topic.

You should consult with your EE supervisor or coordinator to understand the school's stance more clearly. They can also guide you regarding the International Baccalaureate's perspective on this issue.

As I know, the IB doesn't explicitly prohibit topics related to alcohol. But, the project must maintain an academic and objective tone, and it should not in any way promote or glorify the consumption of alcohol.

The substance in red wine that often gets researched is resveratrol, a compound with potential health benefits. If your research is focused on this compound, or a similar one, rather than the wine itself, you might be able to make a case for the scientific merit of your project.

However, you should be prepared with an alternative topic in case your current choice doesn't get approval. There are numerous interesting and relevant topics in chemistry that you can explore for your EE.

Here are five alternative chemistry-based Extended Essay topics that you might consider:

The Chemistry of Vitamin C Degradation in Fruit Juices

This could investigate the degradation of ascorbic acid in various fruit juices over time, or due to heat and light exposure.

Analysis of Caffeine in Different Types of Coffee

This could involve extracting and quantifying caffeine from different types of coffee (e.g., espresso, drip coffee, instant coffee, etc.) and analyzing the results.

The Effect of Cooking on Nutrient Content in Vegetables

You could explore how different cooking methods (boiling, steaming, roasting) impact the nutrient content, specifically focusing on one or two nutrients such as Vitamin C or iron.

Investigating the Effectiveness of Different Sunscreen SPF Levels

You could investigate the chemical differences between sunscreens of different SPF levels and test their effectiveness under various conditions.

Chemical Analysis of Local Water Sources

Analyze and compare the chemical composition of different water sources in your local area (like tap water, well water, bottled water) for elements such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potential contaminants like lead or microplastics.

Remember, it's crucial that the topic you choose is one you're genuinely interested in. A successful Extended Essay requires a significant amount of research and work, and passion for your topic will make the process far more enjoyable and fulfilling. Additionally, feasibility is key – make sure you have access to the equipment and materials you'll need for your research.

Consult with your teacher or supervisor before finalizing your topic.

Thank you for your suggestions!!!

• 3 weeks later...