Help with Subject Selection

Vel

As of now, I've chosen the following subjects but until the middle of July I am still able to change them:

Choice 1: English A SL

Choice 2: Mandarin Ab Initio

Choice 3: Psychology SL

Choice 4: Biology HL

Choice 5: Maths AI HL

Choice 6: Chemistry HL

I'm interested in taking Biochemistry or Molecular Biology and turns out the uni I want to go to doesn't require Chem OR Bio HL for these courses but they allow credit transfer for Bio and Psych but not Chem.

Right now, I can't decide whether to choose Psych or Chem as my last HL. I have some interest in Psych though I'm not sure what to expect as it is a new-ish subject being offered in my school but from what I've read, there's alot of reading, memorizing and essay writing so I'm not too keen on that. As for Chemistry, I don't really have much interest in it but I scored the highest and found it to be the most doable out of all the three sciences. I heard Chem HL is really really difficult though and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to handle the workload with myself already taking Bio and Math HLs. I really need help with this. 

For the other choices, I'm pretty much set on them -- I don't like learning languages and don't plan to take HL for them, I don't want to take Maths AA SL cause I really dislike calculus and I think Bio HL is self-explanatory.

With all that considered, I would greatly appreciate any opinions on whether to take Psych or Chem HL. For the people whom had current or previous experience with these subjects, what was the workload like and what areas of the subject was easy/difficult for you? Or should I reconsider my other choices?

Thank you so much and I apologize if I ask alot of questions, just really stumped right now on which one to choose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 7:40 AM, Vel said:

As of now, I've chosen the following subjects but until the middle of July I am still able to change them:

Choice 1: English A SL

Choice 2: Mandarin Ab Initio

Choice 3: Psychology SL

Choice 4: Biology HL

Choice 5: Maths AI HL

Choice 6: Chemistry HL

I'm interested in taking Biochemistry or Molecular Biology and turns out the uni I want to go to doesn't require Chem OR Bio HL for these courses but they allow credit transfer for Bio and Psych but not Chem.

Right now, I can't decide whether to choose Psych or Chem as my last HL. I have some interest in Psych though I'm not sure what to expect as it is a new-ish subject being offered in my school but from what I've read, there's alot of reading, memorizing and essay writing so I'm not too keen on that. As for Chemistry, I don't really have much interest in it but I scored the highest and found it to be the most doable out of all the three sciences. I heard Chem HL is really really difficult though and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to handle the workload with myself already taking Bio and Math HLs. I really need help with this. 

For the other choices, I'm pretty much set on them -- I don't like learning languages and don't plan to take HL for them, I don't want to take Maths AA SL cause I really dislike calculus and I think Bio HL is self-explanatory.

With all that considered, I would greatly appreciate any opinions on whether to take Psych or Chem HL. For the people whom had current or previous experience with these subjects, what was the workload like and what areas of the subject was easy/difficult for you? Or should I reconsider my other choices?

Thank you so much and I apologize if I ask alot of questions, just really stumped right now on which one to choose.

Your subject selection seems to be well thought out and aligns with your interests and the requirements of your desired university course, which is great!

Deciding between Psychology HL and Chemistry HL can be tough, especially when you have specific interests and considerations. Here are some aspects to consider that may help you decide:

Chemistry HL

Chemistry HL is indeed known to be challenging, as it delves into concepts in much greater depth than SL. If you found SL manageable and even excelled in it, you might be well-prepared to handle the HL material. But, it would require consistent effort and study.

Even though your university doesn't require it, having a strong foundation in Chemistry could be helpful in your further studies. Chemistry is fundamental to the fields of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

Balancing Chemistry HL with Biology HL and Mathematics AI HL could be demanding. You'll need to consider your time management skills and your ability to handle multiple challenging subjects simultaneously.

Psychology HL

Psychology is a fascinating field, and if you're genuinely interested, it could be a positive choice. However, as you mentioned, it does involve a significant amount of reading, memorization, and essay writing. If you don't enjoy these aspects, it might become burdensome over time.

Since Psychology is relatively new in your school, make sure there are resources and support available to you. The availability of experienced teachers and helpful materials could significantly impact your experience with the subject.

If your university accepts credit transfers for Psychology, that's an additional advantage to consider.

As per your other choices, if you're confident about them, there shouldn't be a need to reconsider unless you have particular concerns.

In the end, remember that the decision should align with your personal interests, academic strengths, and future goals. Both choices have their own merits, and it's about striking a balance between what you enjoy, what you're good at, and what will benefit your future studies.

It's a tough decision, but keep in mind that both subjects are valuable in their own right.