I need help in selection of a extended essay topic

struggl

Hello, I am a student currently struggling to select an extended essay topic. I would like to select a topic in one of the 3 subjects, namely Langlit, Math or physics.

Could someone here recommend a topic? Or a book for langlit? Would greatly appreciate any help in this, I am at my wits ends. Currently, I am thinking of doing an EE in Langlit on American Psycho and capitalism, but I worry that the contents maybe too graphic for an Extended Essay. Any help would be appreciated.

8 hours ago, struggl said:

Hello, I am a student currently struggling to select an extended essay topic. I would like to select a topic in one of the 3 subjects, namely Langlit, Math or physics.

Could someone here recommend a topic? Or a book for langlit? Would greatly appreciate any help in this, I am at my wits ends. Currently, I am thinking of doing an EE in Langlit on American Psycho and capitalism, but I worry that the contents maybe too graphic for an Extended Essay. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey there! 😊 As a former IB student, I totally understand how challenging it can be to choose an extended essay topic. I've got some suggestions for you in Langlit, Math, and Physics. 

Remember, it's crucial to pick a topic you're genuinely excited about, so feel free to use these ideas as a starting point! Breaking them into different sections for your ease.

Langlit

1. American Psycho and capitalism. You're right, the content can be quite graphic. However, if you're really into it, just make sure you focus on the themes of capitalism instead of the explicit details.
  2. How about diving into social class representation in "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald?
  3. Or explore magical realism in "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and its link to Latin America's cultural and historical context.

Math

1. Why not compare different methods for approximating Pi? 
  2. You could look into Game Theory applications in economics or politics.
  3. How about analyzing patterns and predictability in prime numbers? Are there any hidden patterns or formulas? 

Physics

1. Examine the impact of air resistance on projectile motion and real-life applications.
  2. Compare energy efficiency in various renewable energy sources like solar, wind, or hydroelectric power.
  3. Get adventurous and explore the physics behind black holes and their implications for space travel.

When picking a topic, make sure it's not too broad or too narrow. And don't forget to talk to your teachers or supervisors for guidance; they'll be happy to help! Good luck, and enjoy the journey! 😄