Math SL IA help (please)

Minzoro7

My teacher has already asked for our ia drafts but I have done nothing, I was trying to research about pendulum movement in one of the attractions of an amusement park here in my city, but it seems that pendulums are more related to a physics topic than a math one so I really don't know how to continue.

I would be thankful if someone could tell me if it's a good math ia topic or if should I change it.

Thanks!! (btw english its not my first language but I'm desperate for help)

14 hours ago, pickles23 said:

hey,

yes it's more of a physics topic than math but what exactly are you investigating?

Well I recorded some videos of the attraction (it's the pirate ship) and I'm trying to model its function on Tracker, maybe I could find its speed or acceleration. Also, I wanted to demonstrate (?) if the ride time depends on the hour of the day and the number of people that get on the pirate ship. Lastly, maybe I could find the differential equation of the ship (?) Idk I'm taking biology, not physics but yesterday I'm being watching videos about pendulum movement and SHM. 

I need to present the draft tomorrow so I'm going to do the much as I can, maybe my teacher could help more but thanks for taking interest :D

On 3/19/2023 at 6:25 PM, Minzoro7 said:

Well I recorded some videos of the attraction (it's the pirate ship) and I'm trying to model its function on Tracker, maybe I could find its speed or acceleration. Also, I wanted to demonstrate (?) if the ride time depends on the hour of the day and the number of people that get on the pirate ship. Lastly, maybe I could find the differential equation of the ship (?) Idk I'm taking biology, not physics but yesterday I'm being watching videos about pendulum movement and SHM. 

I need to present the draft tomorrow so I'm going to do the much as I can, maybe my teacher could help more but thanks for taking interest :D

Hey Minzoro! 👋 It sounds like you're making progress with your Math IA research, and that's great to hear! It's awesome that you've taken videos of the pirate ship attraction and that you're using Tracker to model its function. 🎢

Analyzing the speed, acceleration, and ride time of the pirate ship can definitely be a good starting point for your Math IA. You could use mathematical principles like kinematics or calculus to analyze the motion of the ship and determine how its movement is affected by factors like the time of day and the number of people on board.

As for finding the differential equation of the ship, that might be a more advanced topic, but it could still be worth exploring if you have the time and interest.

Remember, your teacher is there to help you with your IA, so don't hesitate to ask for guidance and feedback. And if you need some inspiration for other potential Math IA topics, check out this article with different IB Math IA ideas. Good luck with your draft presentation! 🍀

Hey Naail here,

Maybe you can spin it around. don't get confused as in maybe try to investigate different ways in which the radius or other factors maybe the weather at what wind speed it affects the swinging of the pendulum and like how much gush of an air can make the pendulum swing. Its a good topic honestly just try to elaborate and explore more facets to the diamond.

Hope this helps.