History IA Questions

claire-o5

I'm in grade 11. My teacher assigns mock history IA's before the real one next year. My first one I did "“To what extent did the stigmatization of mental disorders limit the effectiveness of shell shock treatments for British soldiers during WWI?". I found it really interesting but I spent way too much time on it and I got a 6. 

This time my teacher keeps emphasizing its only a 1400 word paper and it should be a simple topic. 

(Years are 1920s-1940s)

My only ideas are

1. How the culture shifted once things were mass produced and automated, and manual labor was not needed in the house. It's really interesting to me how peoples lives shifted so fast. Ofc I have to phrase this as a "to what extent" or similar format, plus find a specific element of culture. I didn't find many sources for this yet.

2. To what extent did FDR experience with Polio affect his policies in government? But that's not even the question I'm interested in I want to explore if he covered up his disability, and why, and what affect this had on his supporters. But most of the examples I've read seem really dry and boring and about economics. Plus I have lots of books about FDR but I'm not sure if any find a direct correlation on polio and his policies, as that feels pretty personal to him. I could do how his presentation of polio affected things, but I have conflicting sources on if he covered it up or was open about it. It's very interesting to me but idk if there's sources or if it qualities as a history IA topic.

I really want a simple and self contained topic so I don't overload myself with work, as this time I don't have a holiday break to work on it + EE is starting up and that will take a lot of time.

If anyone has any advice please help! 

On 3/6/2023 at 12:23 PM, claire-o5 said:

I'm in grade 11. My teacher assigns mock history IA's before the real one next year. My first one I did "“To what extent did the stigmatization of mental disorders limit the effectiveness of shell shock treatments for British soldiers during WWI?". I found it really interesting but I spent way too much time on it and I got a 6. 

This time my teacher keeps emphasizing its only a 1400 word paper and it should be a simple topic. 

(Years are 1920s-1940s)

My only ideas are

1. How the culture shifted once things were mass produced and automated, and manual labor was not needed in the house. It's really interesting to me how peoples lives shifted so fast. Ofc I have to phrase this as a "to what extent" or similar format, plus find a specific element of culture. I didn't find many sources for this yet.

2. To what extent did FDR experience with Polio affect his policies in government? But that's not even the question I'm interested in I want to explore if he covered up his disability, and why, and what affect this had on his supporters. But most of the examples I've read seem really dry and boring and about economics. Plus I have lots of books about FDR but I'm not sure if any find a direct correlation on polio and his policies, as that feels pretty personal to him. I could do how his presentation of polio affected things, but I have conflicting sources on if he covered it up or was open about it. It's very interesting to me but idk if there's sources or if it qualities as a history IA topic.

I really want a simple and self contained topic so I don't overload myself with work, as this time I don't have a holiday break to work on it + EE is starting up and that will take a lot of time.

If anyone has any advice please help! 

see idk if the HI is the IA for history but that's what we call it. Do a crap ton of research, that's what I did. My question was to what extent was the election and death of Harvey milk the true beginning of the LGBTQ movement. maybe it was my writing style but my history teacher loved it. I suggest doing something that means a lot to you. the mental health thing seems like a good one if you have experience or heavy interest in mental health. one of my friends is doing hers on feminism, and another is doing his on Frida Kahlo, it really just depends. you could reform the mental health idea, I think a 6 is good? idk...  its all about paceing yourself.