Are my IB subjects considered “soft”?

Bini

Hello! 
I’m a student planing my IB subjects as I am starting that this year. I hope to get into one of the top universities if I can in the uk and I was wondering if my subjects would be seen soft as universities have specific preferences. Mostly because a Spanish ab initio is seen as the easiest second language and most prefer economics over business.

I’m hoping to go into one of natural sciences, cognitive science, neuroscience, or computer science and I plan to take:

English A Lit HL

Spanish ab initio

Business management HL

Biology HL 

Math HL

Chemistry SL

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Bini said:

Hello! 
I’m a student planing my IB subjects as I am starting that this year. I hope to get into one of the top universities if I can in the uk and I was wondering if my subjects would be seen soft as universities have specific preferences. Mostly because a Spanish ab initio is seen as the easiest second language and most prefer economics over business.

I’m hoping to go into one of natural sciences, cognitive science, neuroscience, or computer science and I plan to take:

English A Lit HL

Spanish ab initio

Business management HL

Biology HL 

Math HL

Chemistry SL

Thank you!

Hey champ,

The only thing that I don't understand is why you would want to take Business management when it doesn't apply to anything you want to major in. If your school offers it I think it would make more sense to take something like psychology though I'm not sure if that makes sense for you particularly.

5 hours ago, Corbin said:

Hey champ,

The only thing that I don't understand is why you would want to take Business management when it doesn't apply to anything you want to major in. If your school offers it I think it would make more sense to take something like psychology though I'm not sure if that makes sense for you particularly.

I agree with you. I personally wanted to take economics or psychology, but the only group 3 subjects that my school offers are business and history both at HL. I’ve heard that history is very difficult so I was thinking about business. Would it be better to take history HL even though that would require more work?

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2023 at 2:16 PM, Bini said:

I agree with you. I personally wanted to take economics or psychology, but the only group 3 subjects that my school offers are business and history both at HL. I’ve heard that history is very difficult so I was thinking about business. Would it be better to take history HL even though that would require more work?

I'm taking history now and I will say that it is very difficult but history is fairly different from other classes I've taken. The exams in history are very skill based so if you write well it gets easier over time in my opinion. Plus in my class, you only really need a loose understanding of the stuff and it is not necessarily based on exactly memorizing dates. I've never taken business but I have a classmate that really enjoys it so I think it would come down to personal choice. I would personally go with history but I'm also not that interested in business.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2023 at 8:45 AM, Corbin said:

I'm taking history now and I will say that it is very difficult but history is fairly different from other classes I've taken. The exams in history are very skill based so if you write well it gets easier over time in my opinion. Plus in my class, you only really need a loose understanding of the stuff and it is not necessarily based on exactly memorizing dates. I've never taken business but I have a classmate that really enjoys it so I think it would come down to personal choice. I would personally go with history but I'm also not that interested in business.

I didn't know that they were like that. I think if that is the case, I'll consider taking history instead of business next year. In terms of interest, I do find both pretty interesting so maybe I'll try looking more into what you do in those classes. Thanks for the help!

On 2/7/2023 at 5:51 AM, Bini said:

Hello! 

English A Lit HL

Spanish ab initio

Business management HL

Biology HL 

Math HL

Chemistry SL

Thank you!

Just idiot choose BM...