Help for my Extended Essay research question

A_Man

Hello everyone. I’m currently working on my Extended Essay on Computer Science and I was wondering if you guys could review my research question, as I’m not sure whether it is good or not. My topic is image compression algorithms and I’m basically trying to find out whether one algorithm will replace the other in the near future, as they are similar in certain ways, however, one of them is drastically better than the other in a couple of features. 

The question is: In terms of lossless raster image compression algorithms, to what extent is it likely for QOI to replace PNG in the next 3 years in encoding and decoding speed, compression ratio, range of features, and user acceptance?

I’m not quite sure whether or not I should specify what aspects exactly do I want to analyze to make my conclusion or should I just leave it without this specification, as without this specification the question seems to be too broad, while with the specification it sounds a bit too narrow and it might not work too well with the word count. Thank you in advance for any help offered!

Edited by A_Man

Hi, 

I didn't take Computer Science, so I'm answering purely from my personal experience with my EE, as well as what my teachers told me.

At first glance, the specific question looks better to me than the unspecific one
(I take it that the question you wrote is the specific

On 12/12/2022 at 7:21 AM, A_Man said:

in encoding and decoding speed, compression ratio, range of features, and user acceptance?

).

It sounds like you know more or less exactly what you want write about: you already know that while similar in some ways, one algorithm is better than the other in certain aspects.

I suggest you simply start writing and see how you are with your word count, and then see if you need to add more sections or not. Doesn't even need to be super edited, but just see how much you can say. 

Once you do that, you can tweek and edit your question accordingly (this can be done more than once). 

5 hours ago, Bina said:

Hi, 

I didn't take Computer Science, so I'm answering purely from my personal experience with my EE, as well as what my teachers told me.

At first glance, the specific question looks better to me than the unspecific one
(I take it that the question you wrote is the specific

).

It sounds like you know more or less exactly what you want write about: you already know that while similar in some ways, one algorithm is better than the other in certain aspects.

I suggest you simply start writing and see how you are with your word count, and then see if you need to add more sections or not. Doesn't even need to be super edited, but just see how much you can say. 

Once you do that, you can tweek and edit your question accordingly (this can be done more than once). 

Thank you very much for your feedback, it was very helpful!

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2022 at 9:55 AM, Chazee373 said:

I'd like to help but as Computers is not my forte, I asked for a friend if he could suggest a resource. He suggested that you could possibly look at this text - Operations Research: Applications and Algorithms. If this helps in deciding what you need to include or exclude, do let me know. Thanks!

Thank you so much for your suggestion, but I'm afraid this is a bit too complex for me to read. The computer science we are doing right now is at a completely different level and it is very difficult to understand what is happening in this book. But still thank you so much for taking your time and replying to my question!