Help me choose an object for my TOK presentation pls

mili28

The prompt I choose is “Can new knowledge change established values or beliefs?”

I have already spoken about Human sciences on my other objects, as well as religion, connotative language.....

my mind is dry pls help me

Extra info:

Object 1: Darwin's book about species and evolution.--) religious beliefs are something difficult to change. + example of how some beliefs don't/only partially change with the introduction of a new knowledge

Object 2: old cigarette advertisement. --) example of how some beliefs can change with new knowledge

Object 3: SOMETHINGGGGGG  

• 4 months later...
On 11/29/2022 at 10:37 PM, mili28 said:

The prompt I choose is “Can new knowledge change established values or beliefs?”

I have already spoken about Human sciences on my other objects, as well as religion, connotative language.....

my mind is dry pls help me

Extra info:

Object 1: Darwin's book about species and evolution.--) religious beliefs are something difficult to change. + example of how some beliefs don't/only partially change with the introduction of a new knowledge

Object 2: old cigarette advertisement. --) example of how some beliefs can change with new knowledge

Object 3: SOMETHINGGGGGG  

I'm glad to help! For your third object, consider using a piece of technology that has significantly impacted society and changed established values or beliefs. One example could be the smartphone or social media platforms.

Object 3: A smartphone or social media platform (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)

The widespread use of smartphones and social media has revolutionized the way people communicate, access information, and interact with the world. As a result, new knowledge generated by these technologies has challenged and altered established values and beliefs in various ways.

You can discuss the following aspects:

Access to information

Smartphones and social media have made it easier than ever to access information, challenging traditional beliefs about authority and the role of experts. People can now fact-check information instantly and engage in global discussions, leading to a more informed and interconnected society. However, this can also lead to the spread of misinformation and the formation of echo chambers.

Privacy and surveillance

The rise of smartphones and social media has raised concerns about privacy and surveillance, challenging beliefs about the right to privacy and the balance between security and individual freedom. New knowledge about data collection practices has led to debates about the ethical implications of these technologies and the need for greater regulation.

Impact on relationships and communication

The way people form and maintain relationships has evolved with the rise of smartphones and social media, as face-to-face interactions are increasingly replaced by digital communication. This has led to new knowledge about the importance of non-verbal cues, the potential for miscommunication, and the need to balance online and offline interactions.

By incorporating an object like a smartphone or social media platform into your TOK presentation, you can showcase how new knowledge generated by technology can change established values and beliefs in both positive and negative ways.

Good luck! 😊

Meme Reaction GIF

Edited by AnnaHoffman