How can i choose one of these topics for my extended essay??

verynewtoIB

I wanna either do something on:

feminism/sexuality and the history of it or psychology i dont know yet 

or

criminals and the minds of them with psychology 

i would rather do the feminism/sexuaity but i dont know how to make that an ee and i dont take history so id have to check if i could do it. Any help is great!!

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2022 at 8:22 AM, verynewtoIB said:

I wanna either do something on:

feminism/sexuality and the history of it or psychology i dont know yet 

or

criminals and the minds of them with psychology 

i would rather do the feminism/sexuaity but i dont know how to make that an ee and i dont take history so id have to check if i could do it. Any help is great!!

Both of the topics you mentioned could potentially make for interesting extended essays. Here are some potential subtopics and research questions you could consider for each:

Feminism/sexuality and the history of it:

• The evolution of feminist thought and action over time
  • The impact of feminism on women's rights and social policies
  • The intersection of feminism and other social justice movements (e.g. civil rights, LGBTQ+ rights)
  • The representation of women and femininity in media and pop culture
  • The history of feminist activism in a particular country or region
  • The influence of feminist ideas on the development of psychology and other social sciences

Criminals and the minds of them with psychology:

• The psychological factors that may contribute to criminal behavior
  • The effectiveness of different approaches to rehabilitating offenders (e.g. therapy, educational programs, employment training)
  • The role of mental health in predicting and preventing criminal behavior
  • The psychological impact of incarceration on offenders
  • The effectiveness of psychological profiling in identifying and catching criminals
  • The psychological theories that have been used to explain criminal behavior (e.g. social learning theory, cognitive behavioral theory)

I hope these suggestions are helpful! If you have any specific questions about either of these topics, please let me know and I'll do my best to help.

9 hours ago, AnnaHoffman said:

Both of the topics you mentioned could potentially make for interesting extended essays. Here are some potential subtopics and research questions you could consider for each:

Feminism/sexuality and the history of it:

• The evolution of feminist thought and action over time
  • The impact of feminism on women's rights and social policies
  • The intersection of feminism and other social justice movements (e.g. civil rights, LGBTQ+ rights)
  • The history of feminist activism in a particular country or region
  • The influence of feminist ideas on the development of psychology and other social sciences

Criminals and the minds of them with psychology:

• The psychological factors that may contribute to criminal behavior
  • The effectiveness of different approaches to rehabilitating offenders (e.g. therapy, educational programs, employment training)
  • The role of mental health in predicting and preventing criminal behavior
  • The psychological impact of incarceration on offenders
  • The effectiveness of psychological profiling in identifying and catching criminals
  • The psychological theories that have been used to explain criminal behavior (e.g. social learning theory, cognitive behavioral theory)

I hope these suggestions are helpful! If you have any specific questions about either of these topics, please let me know and I'll do my best to help.

ooh thank you so much for the reply!! (I lost the old account so had to make a new one!) I think i’m going the feminist route because so many people do criminals and psychology so it would be harder to be original. 

• The intersection of feminism and other social justice movements (e.g. civil rights, LGBTQ+ rights)

I really like these two ideas, do you know how I can connect them to one of the subjects I take? I take; Biology, English lang and lit, Psychology, Environmental studies, Spanish, Maths. Obviously I was going to choose English lang and lit but I don’t know how to fully connect it and do my research from there. Sorry if it’s a dumb question i’m new to the ib curriculum as I come from a british school!! Thank you so much again for the reply! 

Edited by amberxoxo

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 1:36 AM, amberxoxo said:

ooh thank you so much for the reply!! (I lost the old account so had to make a new one!) I think i’m going the feminist route because so many people do criminals and psychology so it would be harder to be original. 

• The intersection of feminism and other social justice movements (e.g. civil rights, LGBTQ+ rights)

I really like these two ideas, do you know how I can connect them to one of the subjects I take? I take; Biology, English lang and lit, Psychology, Environmental studies, Spanish, Maths. Obviously I was going to choose English lang and lit but I don’t know how to fully connect it and do my research from there. Sorry if it’s a dumb question i’m new to the ib curriculum as I come from a british school!! Thank you so much again for the reply! 

Hey there! Sorry I was out for a while, hope you are still interested in my feedback ;)

So you're curious about writing an extended essay in English Language and Lit on the intersection of feminism and other social justice movements, as well as the representation of women and femininity in media and pop culture? If so, here's a quick rundown on how you can approach this topic while keeping in mind the criteria for a good IB EE:

Research question: 

Ask yourself, "What is the representation of the intersection of feminism and other social justice movements in contemporary literature, and how does it challenge or reinforce gender stereotypes?" This will be your guiding question.

1. Criteria A (Focus and Method): Pick a specific form of written work (e.g. novel, poem, play) and analyze the language, characters, and themes. This way, you'll be able to examine how they depict the intersection of feminism and other social justice movements.
  2. Criteria B (Knowledge and Understanding): Show off your knowledge and understanding of the intersection of feminism and other social justice movements and how they're depicted in the written work you've chosen.
  3. Criteria C (Critical Thinking😞 Get critical and examine how the representation of these issues in literature is informed by, and informs, societal and cultural norms and values.
  4. Criteria D (Reflection): Reflect on the significance of your findings and their impact on understanding the representation of the intersection of feminism and other social justice movements in literature and the broader cultural context.

For the representation of women and femininity in media and pop culture, you can use the same approach by focusing on a specific form of media. Analyze how it depicts women and femininity, and examine whether these depictions challenge or reinforce gender stereotypes.

I hope my ideas are still helpful, and of course - good luck!

Should you have any other questions, let me know or DM me.

36 minutes ago, AnnaHoffman said:

Hey there! Sorry I was out for a while, hope you are still interested in my feedback ;)

So you're curious about writing an extended essay in English Language and Lit on the intersection of feminism and other social justice movements, as well as the representation of women and femininity in media and pop culture? If so, here's a quick rundown on how you can approach this topic while keeping in mind the criteria for a good IB EE:

Research question: 

Ask yourself, "What is the representation of the intersection of feminism and other social justice movements in contemporary literature, and how does it challenge or reinforce gender stereotypes?" This will be your guiding question.

1. Criteria A (Focus and Method): Pick a specific form of written work (e.g. novel, poem, play) and analyze the language, characters, and themes. This way, you'll be able to examine how they depict the intersection of feminism and other social justice movements.
  2. Criteria B (Knowledge and Understanding): Show off your knowledge and understanding of the intersection of feminism and other social justice movements and how they're depicted in the written work you've chosen.
  3. Criteria C (Critical Thinking😞 Get critical and examine how the representation of these issues in literature is informed by, and informs, societal and cultural norms and values.
  4. Criteria D (Reflection): Reflect on the significance of your findings and their impact on understanding the representation of the intersection of feminism and other social justice movements in literature and the broader cultural context.

For the representation of women and femininity in media and pop culture, you can use the same approach by focusing on a specific form of media. Analyze how it depicts women and femininity, and examine whether these depictions challenge or reinforce gender stereotypes.

I hope my ideas are still helpful, and of course - good luck!

Should you have any other questions, let me know or DM me.

This was so helpful!!! The pop culture and media route seem like they will suit me more and I never knew you could do it that way. I will think over what specific form of media I can do but any help is appreciated although you have helped more than enough at this point! I’m writing up my research proposal so this will help fuel all my ideas thank you!! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2023 at 6:34 PM, amberxoxo said:

This was so helpful!!! The pop culture and media route seem like they will suit me more and I never knew you could do it that way. I will think over what specific form of media I can do but any help is appreciated although you have helped more than enough at this point! I’m writing up my research proposal so this will help fuel all my ideas thank you!! 

appreciate your feedback, kudos! 😀