self-taught language

newbieib

Hi guys. I am studying currently in Finnish DP. I just had a Finnish exam and i found out that i have a big big problem with the Finnish grammar. I need a Plan B for next year when we need to choose the subjects.(They have 3 ib year in Finland. First year is Pre-year) Since I am a Chinese so my Plan B is Self-taught Chinese. 

1. Is there kind of different level for Self-Taught Chinese, like Chinese A HL, A SL, B HL, B SL? is it mandatory to choose Chinese A since it from the Group 1.

2. Will they give me some kind of materials for my study for my final exam? I can't just attend the Final exam with knowing nothing about the st Chinese exam.

3. Is the exam hard?

If you know something from those questions just answer asap!

50 minutes ago, newbieib said:

Hi guys. I am studying currently in Finnish DP. I just had a Finnish exam and i found out that i have a big big problem with the Finnish grammar. I need a Plan B for next year when we need to choose the subjects.(They have 3 ib year in Finland. First year is Pre-year) Since I am a Chinese so my Plan B is Self-taught Chinese. 

1. Is there kind of different level for Self-Taught Chinese, like Chinese A HL, A SL, B HL, B SL? is it mandatory to choose Chinese A since it from the Group 1.

2. Will they give me some kind of materials for my study for my final exam? I can't just attend the Final exam with knowing nothing about the st Chinese exam.

3. Is the exam hard?

If you know something from those questions just answer asap!

hey. I think I can answer the first question. so in my school we have English lang/lit as language A and Arabic B or French AB as language B. although most of us are fluent Arab speakers, my school decided to give Arabic B sl/hl instead of Arabic A because we take English as a first language. as for French, our teachers specify in French AB so they give that course. so it really depends on what your school has picked as courses to what level you can do. 

to further answer the question. 'A' of any subject just means its a little advanced and 'B' is a standard kinda thing thats for people who have an understanding of the language, but it really isnt much of a difference. Language ab initio courses are for beginners, people who have no experience in the subject.

If you have an IB coordinator in  your school, I think may best if you talk to them about what choices you have and what they think is best for you. 

as for the exams, take a look at past papers! they really helped me with picking subjects and getting a little knowledge on what to expect during the course. depending on what the course is, they may give you something to analyze or a passage to read or just may ask you questions in Chinese, so its best you you understand the language .(https://freeexampapers.com/exam-papers/IB/ is a good website).

another tip - my teachers told us that its best if we picked our HLs in subjects were passionate about (I didn't take that advice and instead just picked subjects based off what my dream university wants and I kinda regret it rn).  so maybe pick subjects you know you'll ace!

On 9/19/2022 at 3:49 PM, stargirl01 said:

hey. I think I can answer the first question. so in my school we have English lang/lit as language A and Arabic B or French AB as language B. although most of us are fluent Arab speakers, my school decided to give Arabic B sl/hl instead of Arabic A because we take English as a first language. as for French, our teachers specify in French AB so they give that course. so it really depends on what your school has picked as courses to what level you can do. 

to further answer the question. 'A' of any subject just means its a little advanced and 'B' is a standard kinda thing thats for people who have an understanding of the language, but it really isnt much of a difference. Language ab initio courses are for beginners, people who have no experience in the subject.

If you have an IB coordinator in  your school, I think may best if you talk to them about what choices you have and what they think is best for you. 

as for the exams, take a look at past papers! they really helped me with picking subjects and getting a little knowledge on what to expect during the course. depending on what the course is, they may give you something to analyze or a passage to read or just may ask you questions in Chinese, so its best you you understand the language .(https://freeexampapers.com/exam-papers/IB/ is a good website).

another tip - my teachers told us that its best if we picked our HLs in subjects were passionate about (I didn't take that advice and instead just picked subjects based off what my dream university wants and I kinda regret it rn).  so maybe pick subjects you know you'll ace!

Hi,

thanks for the response. This helps a lot. I have glanced the website, looks good. Thank you!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/20/2022 at 4:47 PM, newbieib said:

Hi,

thanks for the response. This helps a lot. I have glanced the website, looks good. Thank you!

I hope it is not too  late for this and it would help.

1.I guess self thought languages are language A SL subjects only.

2. In my self thought language we are working with English litrature content as a self thought class to give as a guidance to work with. Ig u just have to study it by your self 

3. For me the past papers i have looked in my first language were pretty easy compared to the English litrature course.