Here are the links to last years IB application criteria. There is a 500 word Questionnaire and fictional story you must complete.

https://cdn5-ss13.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_55394/File/Secondary/Programs/IB/2021/OCDSB IB Application Questionnaire 2021-2022.pdf

https://cdn5-ss13.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_55394/File/Secondary/Programs/IB/2021/OCDSB IB Application - English Exercise 2021-22.pdf

You don't need to study much for the entrance test. As long as you can write well and are average in math, they'll consider you. I suggest practicing short fictional writing and make your story engaging. I'd say what matters the most is how you contribute to the community and the activities you do. Extracurriculars and volunteering are very important. Make sure to say how they have impacted you as a person.

Last year there was a multiple choice math test that was very easy. It was kind of messed up as many questions had the wrong answers. It's very standard grade 8 math.

Don't stress too much about it. You still have months before the deadline, but starting your questionnaire now would be helpful.

11 hours ago, ensurelikely said:

Here are the links to last years IB application criteria. There is a 500 word Questionnaire and fictional story you must complete.

https://cdn5-ss13.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_55394/File/Secondary/Programs/IB/2021/OCDSB IB Application Questionnaire 2021-2022.pdf

https://cdn5-ss13.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_55394/File/Secondary/Programs/IB/2021/OCDSB IB Application - English Exercise 2021-22.pdf

You don't need to study much for the entrance test. As long as you can write well and are average in math, they'll consider you. I suggest practicing short fictional writing and make your story engaging. I'd say what matters the most is how you contribute to the community and the activities you do. Extracurriculars and volunteering are very important. Make sure to say how they have impacted you as a person.

Last year there was a multiple choice math test that was very easy. It was kind of messed up as many questions had the wrong answers. It's very standard grade 8 math.

Don't stress too much about it. You still have months before the deadline, but starting your questionnaire now would be helpful.

thank you very much! just wondering, did you do a CAT last year, or did they stop doing the CAT exams?

56 minutes ago, imtryingtogetintoib said:

thank you very much! just wondering, did you do a CAT last year, or did they stop doing the CAT exams?

There was no CAT exam and I doubt they will have one this year. It's just the three things I mentioned, so writing is the most important.

By the way, I'm guessing there will be around 150 spots for french and english combined at Merivale. Not sure how many people apply but I'm sure it's above 500.

3 hours ago, ensurelikely said:

There was no CAT exam and I doubt they will have one this year. It's just the three things I mentioned, so writing is the most important.

By the way, I'm guessing there will be around 150 spots for french and english combined at Merivale. Not sure how many people apply but I'm sure it's above 500.

Thank you so much, enurelikely. You have helped me a lot.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, ensurelikely said:

Hey, sorry for disturbing you again. One of my mom's friends whose son did the IB entrance stuff last year told my mom that there was indeed a CAT last year with both english and math. Do you also go to the OCDSB? His mom said the same stuff as you, except about the CAT exam.

11 hours ago, b4w3ja said:

Hey, sorry for disturbing you again. One of my mom's friends whose son did the IB entrance stuff last year told my mom that there was indeed a CAT last year with both english and math. Do you also go to the OCDSB? His mom said the same stuff as you, except about the CAT exam.

No worries. I am 100% sure there was no CAT exam. I go to Ocdsb and I did the application last year. If you check the ocdsb ib website, it says there were only the three things I mentioned. Maybe your moms friend was talking about a different school?

Feel free to ask more questions 

7 hours ago, ensurelikely said:

No worries. I am 100% sure there was no CAT exam. I go to Ocdsb and I did the application last year. If you check the ocdsb ib website, it says there were only the three things I mentioned. Maybe your moms friend was talking about a different school?

Feel free to ask more questions 

oh ok. was there an online math & english exam or something like that to get into colonel by (im going to merivale) because i kind of assumed that that was the cat exam. 

Edited by b4w3ja

1 hour ago, b4w3ja said:

oh ok. was there an online math & english exam or something like that to get into colonel by (im going to merivale) because i kind of assumed that that was the cat exam. 

I don’t think so. They’re both ocdsb so they both have the same application process. I believe in october they have a zoom meeting where they explain the whole application process. 

4 hours ago, ensurelikely said:

I don’t think so. They’re both ocdsb so they both have the same application process. I believe in october they have a zoom meeting where they explain the whole application process. 

okay, ill let you know if i have any more questions. thank you!

13 minutes ago, b4w3ja said:

And, I have another question.. sorry..

How did you study for the exam?? Do you have any practice links? 

Do you mean the math exam? It's very easy. If you're doing pascal questions already, you shouldn't be worried. It's simple math skills at a grade 8 level. Lots of geometry questions tho. I also mostly did CEMC math as practice but the ib math test was very underwhelming. 

Also, you are required to show your first report card from grade 8, which should have your learning skills. Try to have a good relationship with your teacher, as they have to send a recomendation letter. Learning skills are very important so try to get all E's. 

Edited by ensurelikely

1 minute ago, ensurelikely said:

Do you mean the math exam? It's very easy. If you're doing pascal questions already, you shouldn't be worried. It's simple math skills at a grade 8 level. Lots of geometry questions tho. I also mostly did CEMC math as practice but the ib math test was very underwhelming. 

Also, you are required to show your first report card from grade 8, which should have your learning skills. Try to have a good relationship with your teacher, as they have to send a recomendation letter. Learning skills are very important so try to get all E's. 

I feel like math should be the least of your worries. Most important is definatly the questionaire. People who apply to IB are good at math anyways. Ib wants people who are well rounded.

Oh sorry! I should've elaborated more. I mean't reading and writing skills. But yeah, I'm working on my questionnaire. I have had all E's for 7 consecutive years, so I don't think that will be a problem and everything else also has been good. I also volunteer-tutor for Kumon and schoolhouse.world. I am also a Kumon student, as you''re required to be one to tutor.

Edited by b4w3ja

2 minutes ago, b4w3ja said:

Oh sorry! I should've elaborated more. I mean't reading and writing skills. But yeah, I'm working on my questionnaire. I have had all E's for 7 consecutive years, so I don't think that will be a problem and everything else also has been good.

Thats okay! For writing there's not much I did to prepare. Get friends and family to read your questionnaire and perfect it to the best you can. Same for the story. As it's a max of 500 words, you can't really develop a plot, so I suggest focusing on one specific scene. But it's your story so you do you. 

1 hour ago, ensurelikely said:

Thats okay! For writing there's not much I did to prepare. Get friends and family to read your questionnaire and perfect it to the best you can. Same for the story. As it's a max of 500 words, you can't really develop a plot, so I suggest focusing on one specific scene. But it's your story so you do you. 

There's no french.. right? If there is.. well. I moved to Ottawa in March from Alberta and they don't teach you french in school. It's my worst and only grade less than 90.

Edited by b4w3ja

On 8/12/2022 at 2:46 PM, ensurelikely said:

I live in Vaughan and I go to yrdsb. I'm going to be in grade 8 in September. Just confirming my test will be in the beginning of grade 8 right? What should I study for the math test? I am really scared. Should I volunteer at kumon I've been volunteering with the liberals currently. Do you have any practice links that you can send? I'm going to Alexander Mackenzie High School.