certificate vs diploma

flame

From what I understand, a minimum of 24 points are required to earn an IB diploma. . . . I"ve done the EE and TOK and CAS requirements. In case I get a final score below 24 (like a 20 or 18 . . i dunno), what will my status be? Does that mean I am automatically a certificate student. Are all students who don't qualify in diploma category, put into the certificate category? Or, are there minimum point requirements for certificate students as well? If a student gets a low score in the teens, is that student also a certificate stduent?

Also, if anyone has the guide for assessment details . . . and could share it, that would be great.

Thanks.

Diploma Program is where you do your minimum 6 courses, CAS, TOK and EE, if you score more than 24 points, you will receive a IB Diploma. There's another program called the Certificate Program, where you can take any course you want, no restrictions, with all Internal and External Assessments, but CAS, TOK and EE are not required. You do less work than if you were to be in the Diploma Program, and in turn, you receive a certificate for the IB courses you've taken, not a diploma. And I'm not sure on this, but I doubt universities will take you if you have a IB Certificate alone.

Edited by ongfufu

Don't believe the above poster when he says that you won't get anything.

If you fail either your EE / ToK / CAS / 12 point HL requirement / 24 point requirement, you will only get certificates and not a diploma. Even if you get a 1, you will get a certificate of completion and that your final score was 1.

Haha I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a 1 in IB. You'd think the lowest score you can get is 6, since you can't get a 0 for any subject can you?

For EE and TOK, you fail if you get an E on both essays or if you don't hand one of them in.

Haha I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a 1 in IB. You'd think the lowest score you can get is 6, since you can't get a 0 for any subject can you?

For EE and TOK, you fail if you get an E on both essays or if you don't hand one of them in.

Someone on TSR said they're getting 1s in HL Math... so yeah, I bet there have been some rare cases.

Someone on TSR said they're getting 1s in HL Math... so yeah, I bet there have been some rare cases.

Yeah I guess there's a bunch of people that get 1's for subjects, but have you ever heard of anyone getting belowe 10 points overall in the diploma? You'd have to be pretty stupid to achive that. Haha I wish I could meet someone who got a 6 overall, could be due to laziness or sheer idiocy.

Do universities accept IB certificate? Is it more difficult to get into decent school with a certifcate vs diploma?

My friend is doing cert, but getting a non-IB diploma as well. He said that LSE and other schools asked for his diploma FIRST, then he told them that he took the IB cert as well. So I think that they want a highschool diploma, not just few courses from IB.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah I guess there's a bunch of people that get 1's for subjects, but have you ever heard of anyone getting belowe 10 points overall in the diploma? You'd have to be pretty stupid to achive that. Haha I wish I could meet someone who got a 6 overall, could be due to laziness or sheer idiocy.

You also have to be unlucky

I know someone in my class who got 3 out of 45 so far. Harsh, isn't it? She hardly ever came to school so that many teachers gave her zero points. Our school is thinking of kicking her out...

The thing is, I checked the IB statistical bulletin for 2008 and on page 37 it says 3 students got 2's for their total points, 14 got 3's, 16 got 4's and 12 got 5's. No one got a 1 overall. But how is it possible to get 2 out of 45, if the minimum grade for each subject is 6? Maybe they didn't fill in anything for their exam papers? But even then, 0 marks = 1.

If anyone knows the answer to this question, I'd be fascinated to know :S

• 3 weeks later...

My English teacher told us that last year she was one of the invigilators in the Psyhcology exam, and a girl (unnames, but someone figured out that it was the principal's daughter) went in, sat down, read through the psychology questions and decided she didn't want to do the exam. She somehow figured she had more to lose by doing the exam than by not doing it.

She wasn't allowed to leave the exam hall after she decided, since an hour wasn't up. She sulked and pouted, and then finally just sat there for an hour. She could have at least attempted to answer some questions and gotten a one or a two, rather than an N on it.

Does anybody know if there is a minimum grade you have to get in a subject in order to get your diploma?

Somebody told me you need to get at least a 4 in your HL subjects and at least a 3 in your SL subjects in order to receive the diploma, as well as getting over 24 points. Is this true? D:

So you could get, say, all 5's and 6's and then one 2 in an SL subject and that'd be it? :D