Should I do maths AI HL or AA HL?

Aisha07

I want to do HL chemistry and biology. But i don't know what math course to do, at the moment I'm at an average of 5 in maths and I'm starting IB in a year but my subject choices start at the beginning of next year.  My school only offers AA SL or HL and AI HL if you're taking an HL science. I'm also planning on taking english lit SL, business management SL and Spanish B SL. Do my choices seem reasonable in regards to the HL subjects?

On 6/17/2022 at 9:57 AM, Aisha07 said:

I want to do HL chemistry and biology. But i don't know what math course to do, at the moment I'm at an average of 5 in maths and I'm starting IB in a year but my subject choices start at the beginning of next year.  My school only offers AA SL or HL and AI HL if you're taking an HL science. I'm also planning on taking english lit SL, business management SL and Spanish B SL. Do my choices seem reasonable in regards to the HL subjects?

Hi, one thing I would always recommend is to take Math HL unless you think you will not score 5 and above. Having Math HL as one of your subjects will boost your applications to colleges. However, if you think you will not be able to handle Math HL it is always better to score really well in math sl than score bad in math hl. For those majoring in science it is preferred to take Math AA HL. But if you feel you are really comfortable with a calculator Math AI will be better for you. 

Math AI and AA are relatively the same except AI is more involved with statistics and AA is more involved with calculus, thus it is deemed the harder subject. I took Math AI HL, as my path is business and economics. Problems with AI are that there aren't many resources, YouTube videos and tutors who are well versed in AI which I had to learn the hard way. If I had known this I would've taken AA regardless of the difficulty as resources and past papers are really important in exam prep. This is because AI is a fairly new branch off math in ib and the first official paper the students are writing is this year in 2022.

Your subject choices are pretty good. I don't know if your school offers this but in case you want to choose all main sciences, it is possible, but it would be considered an irregular diploma or something like that. But that is very difficult especially if you want to take math HL as well. I have a friend who is doing Math AI HL, Bio HL, Chem HL, Physics SL, Spanish B SL, and English Lit SL. It is a really difficult combination but very valued. But personally I think that it is always good to have bm as a subject and I think its better to go with the regular ib course. The other option would put too much pressure. 

Hope I helped!

• Like 1

hi there.

i do maths SL but have friends who do HL. Maths AA i think is for people who are really interested in maths and want to do maths in the future. defo get higher in maths if u want to do it higher. SL spanish is fun too, and english lit SL is quite fun. eng lit and lang is defo better tho