IBID Bio book

beli16

In my school we don't use a specific IB Bio book. We use this huge book called Biology by Campbell and Reese. You can buy it here for 25 USD. It's really good, the readings are long but informative. My teacher used it in college, she didn't attend the classes, she just read the book and passed with 100%.

I read something about stem cells, the book I mentioned doesn't have much on the topic, BUT...

(I strongly recommend this for the people taking Bio)

...we saw a video by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. It was a lecture on stem cells given by a Harvard professor (with student interaction), it included information that probably would not be included int the text book right now because of time. It talked about stem cells for the cure of diabetes, the problems of stem cells (can become cancer cells), etc. I strongly recommend for you guys to order the video, IT'S FREE and available here. If you browse around their site you'll see the offer plenty more useful lectures for free.

Edited by rue saint-denis

• 2 weeks later...
Guest quisquis

We're using both Campbell-Reece as a text book (well, actually we're working with the teachers' own scripts and acquisition / use of campbell-reece is optional) and Allott (OUP Study Guide) as a revision guide.

Actually, I quite like the combination... Campbell-Reece is outstanding if you really want to get familiar with a topic and it has superb pictures (--> presentations...). Allott is useful nowadays for revision, I really like the concise and compact way of presenting topics.

• 1 month later...

The IBID Bio. book is the worst book ever. It is full of mistakes and unneessary information. We also use the IBID physics book; My physics teacher has had to cross out entire pages where conceptually the book was completely wrong (It also gives incorrect formulae on a regular basis!). My Bio. teacher writes out notes for each lesson and we use the Bio. course companion from oxford sometimes as a supplement.

• 3 months later...