IBID Bio book

beli16

hello!

it is the schools first time that its offering bio hl. in the past they have only used the studyguide as its sufficient for sl. I was wondering, does anyone have the IBID bio book, because im having a hard time grasping information just from the studyguide.. is there anyway u can upload it?! its for the old curriculum, last exam in 2008!

thanks! :lol:

Edited by beli16

Sorry but nope. Would love to have a look at it myself though.

Although I have heard that the IBID Bio book is no good. According to my teacher it is filled with mistakes so we don't have it all but instead uses Advanced Biology by Michael Kent. It's more for A-level but works very well for the IB syllabus if you know what to study. Oh and if you're doing the May 2009 exam then you might be interested in the brand-new book called IB Biology Course Companion by Oxford University Press.

We have the IBID book but it is pretty **** my teahcer has asked us to put crosses through pages to make sure if we do look at it that we don't get incorrect information. I almost never use it.

We actually use the Blue IB revision one with the bird on it, I find that one really good now that I am revising. I also have a book called Advanced Biology but it is by Jones and Jones. It is quite good made for A-levels, it is pretty with all the colours it has.

Guest mjbrandt

One thing i find helpful are lectures that can be found on iTunes

they have a new section called "itunes U" where they have lectures from top (American only i'm afraid) colleges and universities

It's entirely free and there are audio and video recordings of classes and lectures from yale, stanford, princeton, UCB, MIT, etc...

You can find great information on anything from biochemistry to literature to architecture.

and did i mention it's free?

The blue book your talking about Afterglow, "Biology for the IB Diploma" is phenomenal! It's been saving my butt all year, I hardly ever use my other text for info!

Same here.. but my teacher told me that it doesn't cover the curriculum 100 percent

It's still the only book when studying bio though :P

The blue book? Do you mean the oxford study guide? If so then yes, it is good but also yes, it doesn't cover 100%. What it does cover is EVERYTHING from the syllabus. Nothing more and it would be wise to use another textbook as well to read more for some background and depeer knowledge to understand things. Sometimes when I've been working on the syllabus, I have also noticed that it has left very tiny, but significant details out.

My suggestion - Advanced Biology by Michael Kent.

I haven't used the IB Biology Course Companion but I've heard it could be very good as well, for > may 2009 students.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For those sitting for the may 2009 exams, there is a new IB Study Guide for Biology, also by Andrew Allott. Most of the contents are the same as the blue book you mentioned, but there are certain additional facts, for example, on stem cells and the transplants. I find it more useful than the course companion as it provides an exact account of the information required. In fact, there's a page at the back (just like the blue book) which states the assessmet statement for 2009 exams and the pages to find it. I would say that the course companion is a good companion (like the title suggests) but not the best guide you can use. You can find it on the Oxford press page.

they have stem cells and transplants....I want to read about stem cells and transplants :S

I love the study guide for revision. I mean when i check the syllabus and need to know the information of a particular thing then I use it (the page at the back is just great). I use it when I need to understand something I still don't get or just for pure memorising. However, to get a full picture, the textbooks are more developed

The IBID bio book is not very good, it's useful when making syllabus notes in addition to the Allot guide, however, you should definitely get more resources. I bought it a few weeks ago as an added resource for notemaking, but don't rely on just that. The questions in it are useful to do but all in all don't use it by itself. It's also useful when learning to draw diagrams.

The Allot guide is good--but using it alone won't give you more than a pass. It's a very summarised version of the syllabus, useful when trying to understand concepts and making notes, but you'll find that you need to know some things in more detail, that's when your teacher's notes and explanations come in. I'm lucky in that I have a very organised (and strict, lol) teacher who provides notes and additional explanation. But the guide is good when you sit down with your books to make notes from the syllabus.

I have Advanced Chemistry, I'm not sure whether or not to get Advanced Biology (Michael Kent) as well. ??? How useful is it?

Edited by shotaway