What is a knowledge issue?

karldiesen

The phrase “problems of knowledge” refers to possible uncertainties, biases in approach to knowledge or limitations of knowledge, and the methods of verification and justification appropriate to the different areas of knowledge. (http://peernet.lbpc.ca/thelink/tokassessment/tokessay/04tokessaycriteria.html)

So basically, what are the problems with the piece of knowledge you are looking at. For example, the definition of a terrorist. Problems with defining a word/term include the culture in which the person is immersed, the paradigm that they are living in currently, the limitations of the language they speak (does such a word exist at all, are there several words for it that have varying connotations), and so on.

Ask yourself: how can this piece of knowledge be justified? Is it valid? What affects its objectivity?

Every issue in the world has a problem of knowledge/knowledge issue associated with it. Some are ethical, some have to do with emotion, some with reason, and so on.

Our teacher said that a knowledge issue is an open ended question which has more than one side to it (What is truth?, Are humans good or bad?)
And you can argue anything, because there isn't a set answer to the question, which is what makes it a "knowledge issue". We can't KNOW the answer, and we should argue multiple sides in the essay.

• 10 years later...
On 3/11/2009 at 5:09 PM, deissi said:

I'll give you a clue. There is a knowledge issue in defining what a knowledge issue is.

A knowledge issue, for example, could be "How do we know that 1+1 = 2?"

This post is extremely unhelpful and does nothing to actually help the inquirer survive the IB. What in gods name were you thinking when you said "ill give you a hint" on a forum that is meant to be helpful and clearly explain those who have asked a question. You sir, are the epitome of of a useless and meaningless troll who's only purpose on the internet is to ruin the lives of others by forcing them to read your garbage before getting to the answers that they need. You are the kind of people who make the internet a worse environment for all who wish to enjoy the benefits of better access to knowledge connection to the outside world. I will find you deissi and I will have no problem curb-stomping your arrogant and useless self to the ground.

On 3/11/2009 at 5:09 PM, deissi said:

I'll give you a clue. There is a knowledge issue in defining what a knowledge issue is.

A knowledge issue, for example, could be "How do we know that 1+1 = 2?"

I find no help in this comment which is responding to a necessary question to help with an adequate understanding of the Theory of Knowledge subject. To call a website IB Survival and allow such unhelpful information is a blatant lie. A student will come to this website to find assistance in a difficult subject and receive nothing if people like this continue to answer with such vague and useless words which mean nothing. How does this help in any way? Think before you post sir.