Ib hl physics vs hl chem

Gazuar

Like both but can only choose 1. I’m not really sure how to decide. Ive already chosen chem but feel like physics is more suitable as I’m taking hl maths and also I do not like organic chem. from what I’ve heard both are equally challenging subjects. What made you decide to choose one over the other? Btw I’m not pursuing a science degree in the future 

thanks

Hi, I am currently doing IB and taking both Chemistry and Physics at HL. I haven’t had to decide between the two, but I could still give you some advice. 

You’ll definitely see more math in Physics, and Chemistry will involve a bit more of memorisation. I’d say both are equally challenging, but if you’re taking Math AA HL, then Physics might be somewhat easier. To me, Physics requires more logical thinking, and if you’re generally good at it, then it could feel easier. Regarding Organic Chem, remember that this is only 1 of 11 topics (without taking into account the optional one), and you’ll also study other topics that might be more interesting to you. If this is the only thing that stops you from choosing Chemistry, then I wouldn’t worry too much about it. 
Think just about what you enjoy the most, and, knowing that you won’t pursue a science degree in the future, both will help you equally. Do you enjoy learning about atoms and molecules, their structure and behaviour, and working with all sorts of reactions (this is definitely an oversimplified description), or about motion of all sorts, waves and circuits (another simple description)? 

If I could have only chosen one of them, then I would have gone for Physics, since I am quite mathematically minded and have always found this subject more interesting in general. 

Also, remember that both IB Physics and Chemistry start almost from the very basics, so you don’t need to know too much in advance. Having previously studied any of the topics, however, could be extremely helpful. The subject you choose will give you a maximum of 7 points that will be crucial when applying to any university, so consider also which subject you are now best at. 

Hope this was helpful! Good luck with IB! 

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2022 at 1:34 AM, omathtinez said:

Hi, I am currently doing IB and taking both Chemistry and Physics at HL. I haven’t had to decide between the two, but I could still give you some advice. 

You’ll definitely see more math in Physics, and Chemistry will involve a bit more of memorisation. I’d say both are equally challenging, but if you’re taking Math AA HL, then Physics might be somewhat easier. To me, Physics requires more logical thinking, and if you’re generally good at it, then it could feel easier. Regarding Organic Chem, remember that this is only 1 of 11 topics (without taking into account the optional one), and you’ll also study other topics that might be more interesting to you. If this is the only thing that stops you from choosing Chemistry, then I wouldn’t worry too much about it. 
Think just about what you enjoy the most, and, knowing that you won’t pursue a science degree in the future, both will help you equally. Do you enjoy learning about atoms and molecules, their structure and behaviour, and working with all sorts of reactions (this is definitely an oversimplified description), or about motion of all sorts, waves and circuits (another simple description)? 

If I could have only chosen one of them, then I would have gone for Physics, since I am quite mathematically minded and have always found this subject more interesting in general. 

Also, remember that both IB Physics and Chemistry start almost from the very basics, so you don’t need to know too much in advance. Having previously studied any of the topics, however, could be extremely helpful. The subject you choose will give you a maximum of 7 points that will be crucial when applying to any university, so consider also which subject you are now best at. 

Hope this was helpful! Good luck with IB! 

Sorry for the late reply but this was awfully helpful. I’ve taken a long long time to consider even completing my igcse’s during this time. I’ve decided to go with physics! Not even sure this is the best choice for me but I’m considering engineering as a possible career path. I am also quite mathematically minded and am able to make sense of a lot of things so this has also contributed to why I’m choosing physics. Well, I am definetely looking forward to it! THANKS!