Should I change from Maths AI SL to Maths AA SL at this point?

Fernao

I'm M22 so I have around 6 months left. I was basically forced to choose AI SL, but I know it doesn't have much future. I don't know if they'll allow me to change, but if I can should I?

Pros:

• It will basically make my IB diploma useful.
  • I'm very good at Maths. I'm scoring almost 10/10 in all the practice tests I do (although I understand AA SL may be much harder than that).
  • I hear there's not as much difference between AI SL and AA SL as between AI SL and AI HL.
  • The criteria for the IA are the same so I won't have to change that.

Cons:

• I have little time left.
  • I'll have to do it on my own. I will keep going to AI SL classes and prepare AA SL by myself, although my teacher will help me giving me resources to use at home.
  • IB is not necessary for me. We do the national programme and the IB together, and I'll use the first one to enter a university in my country anyway. I just want to have a functional IB in case I want to have higher chances to enter a top university abroad in the future, if I feel to do a second degree.

Do you think it's worth the effort? Thanks!

My immediate answer is no. Maths AA and Maths AI are quite different and learning everything in the six months you have left seems a bit like a waste of time, specially if you have a national programme. Then again, if you're good at maths and believe you can learn everything in this time, you can try it out. It just not seems worthy of your time and effort.

If you eventually decide you want to change subjects, you're still able to do it until your school sends your "profile" to the IB. Otherwise, you'll have to pay a fee.

Hope this helps!

56 minutes ago, ibdepressingalot said:

My immediate answer is no. Maths AA and Maths AI are quite different and learning everything in the six months you have left seems a bit like a waste of time, specially if you have a national programme. Then again, if you're good at maths and believe you can learn everything in this time, you can try it out. It just not seems worthy of your time and effort.

If you eventually decide you want to change subjects, you're still able to do it until your school sends your "profile" to the IB. Otherwise, you'll have to pay a fee.

Hope this helps!

I see, thanks a lot for your answer!