What uk uni is the best for business management? un-watch

mylifeisib

I personally went with City, University of London, and what was then called Cass Business School (and has now been renamed Bayes). There are a number of business degree options, and I was very happy studying there. Most of the lecturers were really great, there's a separate business school library, and generally great resources (Bloomberg terminals, Reuters terminals, etc). Would definitely recommend - I went there after a brief stint of studying Law at Oxford, and, frankly, the focus on the student teaching was much better at City than Oxford (at least in my experience, though, of course, the Oxford tutorial system puts you in muuuuuch smaller groups). I turned down KCL and QMUL for City, and I've no regrets, ended up with a Big 4 job after graduating. 

• Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 12:13 PM, Gaby said:

I personally went with City, University of London, and what was then called Cass Business School (and has now been renamed Bayes). There are a number of business degree options, and I was very happy studying there. Most of the lecturers were really great, there's a separate business school library, and generally great resources (Bloomberg terminals, Reuters terminals, etc). Would definitely recommend - I went there after a brief stint of studying Law at Oxford, and, frankly, the focus on the student teaching was much better at City than Oxford (at least in my experience, though, of course, the Oxford tutorial system puts you in muuuuuch smaller groups). I turned down KCL and QMUL for City, and I've no regrets, ended up with a Big 4 job after graduating. 

Thank you for your reply! It helps me a lot!

I was thinking kcl business and management and ucl information and management for business courses. (I know there are many other great universities for business degree but I'm mainly thinking the universities in London as its convenience.) So, I don't have the ideas for other 3 university choices although City, University of London could be one option. (I was also thinking lse management but I realised that the course is more like a lot of maths and economics rather than business stuff.)

I didn't know Bayes university but I researched the module of business and management course and looks interesting!

You said you went to oxford to study law before Bayes university so I assume you studied business as a postgraduate degree, not as an undergraduate student? (I'm planing the uni choice for the undergraduate so I was wondering if what you've experienced there is different from what I'm imagining..)

Then here is the questions (sorry to ask a lot...)

1. What grades did you get in order to get accepted from the universities like you mentioned? (both HLs and SLs?) Because I checked kcl business and management course and it says you have to get 35 overall including 766 from HLs. However I was wondering the requirement is a bit lower than other same level unis like ucl, lse, imperial, etc.. So how are the candidates selected in those level unis? I feel like I'm gonna be rejected if I applied to kcl (for example) with 35. 

2. What are the key reasons that you turned kcl and queen marry for Bayes university? Because I thought generally people would chose kcl or queen marry if they accepted from these three options.

3. My English concern (I take English B SL) - most uk universities that I'm planning to apply requires 7 English B HL. Does this mean I can't even apply to those unis or can I submit my IELTS score instead? To be honest, I came to the uk about 2 years ago at the age of 16 years old and this is the first time that i actually start to speak English. So, I don't have the confidence to meet the english requirement either eng b or ielts option. If I didn't meet the english requirement, I would not even be able to apply to uk unis?

4. Any advices? Personal statement or anything you paid attention to when you were in D2?

Sorry to ask a lot of questions here but thank you for your reply!

Edited by mylifeisib

So, Bayes Business School is just part of City, University of London, it's not a separate university. It used to be called Cass Business School up until last year, so if you want to do a bit more research, it might be worth typing Cass into google instead, as that'll have more hits. 

I went to Oxford for Law, but only very briefly - it truly didn't suit me, and I left during my 1st year. As such, I did my undergrad in Business Studies at City. The degrees got a slight revamp since I graduated, but I believe most of the modules are the same, just organised differently. 

Re. 1 - I got my diploma with 39 points, 776 at HL (English B, Psychology and History). But I was aiming at Oxford - I believe the City requirements are the time were around 35-36 points. This was the same/similar for KCL/QMUL

Re. 2 - I turned down KCL cause they didn't have a business school per se - just that one Business degree. I wanted more resources, more staff, just generally a bigger focus on business and finance than I felt KCL could offer me. QMUL I turned down cause it doesn't have much of a reputation for business, while the business school at City is one of the top ones in Europe. 

Re. 3 - I'd definitely expect them to require you to sit an English proficiency test like IELTS or TOEFL with English B SL (though maybe drop them an email to ask?). University studies require you to be comfortable with reading and writing English. If you aren't, you're likely to struggle in the degree, with writing essays, exams, etc. However, c. 50-60% of people in my year were non-native speakers. 

Re. 4 - In the PS, remember that you don't have much space. So be very to the point and only speak about things that are relevant. Show your interest in the subject. 

I wrote a 3 part series on my blog about Personal Statement writing. It's a few years old, but it's still relevant. Here is the link to Pt.1 https://getintouni.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/a-personal-statement-how-to-guide-part-1-what-to-research-and-where-to-start/