Economics EE help

XJAW

Hi, I have chosen my Economics EE topic to be To what extent is Manchester United FC revenue-driven in the 2010s as compared to the 2000s, as a result of an overtake by a foreign investor? Can someone tell me if the question is structured well enough to satisfy the IB?

Unfortunately I'd say that your essay doesn't fall under Economics... This is more of a Business Management Essay and you'd score very low. In addition try and find a topic for which you can confidently answer "Why is having an answer to this research question helpful to society?" 

1 hour ago, Jognsba said:

Unfortunately I'd say that your essay doesn't fall under Economics... This is more of a Business Management Essay and you'd score very low. In addition try and find a topic for which you can confidently answer "Why is having an answer to this research question helpful to society?" 

Thank You for the response. My EE supervisor is an economics teacher and has agreed to the topic, however I do feel like it is a bit far fetched although main focus of the essay is profit maximization and government intervention. Do you maybe feel like the essay could be a World Studies EE?

I'm obviously not a teacher, but I think trying to switch to a world studies EE now, might be an issue.

I'd probably say two things: 

I do think the scope is quite reasonably focused. I guess I'd just make sure that you don't fall too far into the BUS MAN side of things. I'm not familiar with the exact structure of Man United, but I can confidently say that any firm is usually profit maximising. I guess you'd have to specifically be able to prove that it is in fact due to the foreign investment that the club has become (more?) profit maximising in the 2010s compared to the 2000s. I really don't know how you'd do that using economic models and can you do primary or secondary research on that? Probably is possible, just not sure how atm.

I think the topic is super interesting, but you might want to consider rephrasing the RQ. Is it due to foreign investment or due to foreign ownership that the club is more revenue driven? I think saying investment (which doesn't intrinsically imply control) makes a very weak link in your argument. Overtake by a foreign investor is also quite ambiguous.  Why is foreign relevant? Would a local investor not make the club more revenue-driven? Also in the question "To what extent is Manchester United FC revenue-driven in the 2010s as compared to the 2000s" is a comparison without a comparison word? I don't know what this is comparing. To what extent is it MORE revenue driven? To what extent is it LESS revenue driven? I think the there is quite a lot of questions that arise from the start which could easily be mitigated with better phrasing. You clearly know what you want to write about, but I think that isn't quite clear in the question. 

By any means, talk to your supervisor though. This is just my opinion.

Hope some of these questions could help though!