Is it even possible to get 38 or above from the predicted grade in D2, even if I get 28/42 from the final report in D1 in IB diploma? (I will probably get 24 from the D1 mock exam)

I tried to study to get the high scores from the d1 mock (my target was 36 / 42, and now I think I was too optimistic.) because I got 30 or something from the first and second term grades and I thought I definitely have to improve my grades. However, I did huge mistakes on the exam so I'm assuming that I will get lower scores from the d1 mock exam than my past grades. 

The assumption is here; (I guess the final report from d1 and d2 will be used to assume the predicted grades so I think the d1 mock exam does not directly affect my future grades. )

Japanese A HL 6-7, Maths AI HL 3, Economics HL 3, Business 6, English B 5, Chemistry 5, overall 28-29 / 42 from the final report in d1.

Japanese A HL 5, Maths AI HL 2, Economics HL 3, Business 6, English B 5, Chemistry 1-2, overall 22-23 / 42 from the d1 mock exam.

I know my grades, especially the d1 mock exam is terrible...
But I must change everything of my grades to get 38 / 45 in the predicted grade in d2 because I want to study business management or marketing at LSE or UCL. Then the requirements are both 38, including 766 from HLs with HL maths. (my plan; Japanese 7, maths 6, eco 6, business 7, English b 5, chemistry 5) 

My background is; I came to the UK when I was 16 in M5 and now I'm 18 in D1. So, my low grades are a little bit based on my English proficiency, but I should be able to get higher scores more because I study hard. So the thing is, my studying method is not efficient and productive. 

So, could anyone suggest to me anything (strategies, plans, tips, etc.) about this? 
I'm willing to spend whole my 2 months summer holidays to get 38. 

Thanks,

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 12:30 AM, mylifeisib said:

My background is; I came to the UK when I was 16 in M5 and now I'm 18 in D1. So, my low grades are a little bit based on my English proficiency, but I should be able to get higher scores more because I study hard. So the thing is, my studying method is not efficient and productive. 

So, could anyone suggest to me anything (strategies, plans, tips, etc.) about this? 

For Math, practice really hard. You could get a Revision Village Gold Subscription, or ask your teacher for extra practice questions. I got a 2 in Math AI HL in dp1 but my dad sat with me and made me practice every week during my summer vacation, and I just got a 6 in the first set of exams for dp2. I spent about 5-7 hours per week on Math.

I have Business too (my school doesn't allow BM and Econ together though) but I have SL. My only strategy has been to read the Paul Hoang textbook, and practice the questions from that. I do roughly half of the questions from each chapter.

I don't share any other subjects with you, and I don't normally "study" for English, so I'm not sure how I can help. Besides, your writing in this post is pretty flawless :) 

Also, I'd suggest that you ask your Chemistry teacher for advice, because a drop from 5 to a 2 is quite big. Most teachers are ready to help students who take initiative. 

Good Luck!

1 hour ago, ZBSA said:

For Math, practice really hard. You could get a Revision Village Gold Subscription, or ask your teacher for extra practice questions. I got a 2 in Math AI HL in dp1 but my dad sat with me and made me practice every week during my summer vacation, and I just got a 6 in the first set of exams for dp2. I spent about 5-7 hours per week on Math.

I have Business too (my school doesn't allow BM and Econ together though) but I have SL. My only strategy has been to read the Paul Hoang textbook, and practice the questions from that. I do roughly half of the questions from each chapter.

I don't share any other subjects with you, and I don't normally "study" for English, so I'm not sure how I can help. Besides, your writing in this post is pretty flawless :) 

Also, I'd suggest that you ask your Chemistry teacher for advice, because a drop from 5 to a 2 is quite big. Most teachers are ready to help students who take initiative. 

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for your deep explanation!
First, I mentioned that I got 24, however, I actually got 29 / 42 from the final report in D1.
(Japanese A HL 5, English B SL 5, Eco HL 4, Chemistry SL 5, Maths AI HL 4, Business SL 6, total 29) TOK Exhibition C
Also, I got 2 from chemistry in D1 mock exam but got 5 from the final report card in D1. (So, I need to be more familiar with exam style question and study more basic concepts because somehow my brain is not suitable for chemistry.)

The highest but still realistic score plan is here;
(Japanese A HL 7, English B SL 5, Eco HL 6, Chemistry SL 5, Maths AI HL 6, Business SL 7, so total 36 so far) TOK B as a result and EE A so that it is going to be 38 maximum.

So, 2 points up for Japanese, maths, economics
1 points up for Business
Keep English B and Chemistry as a 5 (because I am bad at English and science subjects.)

In terms of Business and Japanese, I think they are definitely possible to get. (Japanese is my first language and I'm interested in Business.)

I'm so sorry to say this, but I'm so motivated about maths cuz you mentioned that you got 6 in d2 even though once you got 2 in d1! 
Also, for business, my main problem is I do it online. (Pamoja) So, I will just practice the questions from the textbook. 
I want to study business management or marketing at LSE or UCL or other universities. However, the requirements are like 38, 766 from HLs...

Again, thank you for sharing your experience in dp and reply to this!!

On 7/8/2021 at 6:11 PM, mylifeisib said:

I'm so sorry to say this, but I'm so motivated about maths cuz you mentioned that you got 6 in d2 even though once you got 2 in d1! 

Ahh I'm so glad I could help! You don't have to feel sorry!

Also, I got 2 from chemistry in D1 mock exam but got 5 from the final report card in D1. (So, I need to be more familiar with exam style question and study more basic concepts because somehow my brain is not suitable for chemistry.)

That's great! Do you have access to past papers? Or does your teacher give practice worksheets from question banks? If not, it would be a good idea to contact them and ask. Especially because you've recognized that the exam-style is causing this discrepancy in grades.

On 7/8/2021 at 6:11 PM, mylifeisib said:

In terms of Business and Japanese, I think they are definitely possible to get. (Japanese is my first language and I'm interested in Business.)

Keep it up! 

Also, I forgot to mention last time, but if you like to study by listening instead of just reading, there are a few great teachers on Youtube with comprehensive revision videos like my personal favorite, Hache Miranda.

All the best!