Self-Taught Language A1 SL

At the time of choosing my IB subjects, I chose Self-Taught Language A1 since I thought it would be an "easy" subject. Now I am reconsidering.

As it is titled Self-Taught Language, I thought I would be studying the language itself, the grammar, the verbs etc. but now I am not sure. Is it literature? If so, is it a difficult subject?

The language I chose was danish, since it is my mother tongue, but I was never taught the language properly. My comprehension is good but my writing, not so much. I am considering changing. Plus, I don't think there are many danish people in my country making it difficult to find a tutor. Should I change subjects? What positives does Self-Taught Language bring into the diploma?

• 2 weeks later...

Heya

I am doing Armenian 'self-taught' and it is deffo not a language course. It is instead a literature course where you will have to read around 9 books. You will also need to be able to do litarary analysis on them. However, you do not need to have perfect perfect grammar or vocab; you just need to be able to analyse and understand stuff. You can always work on grammar/writing etc with your tutor if you are willing.

And yes, it is difficult; you should be prepared to put a lot of effort into it. 🙂 

I hope this is helpful but you should get into contact with you schools IB cordinator for more reliable information. 

On 7/7/2021 at 4:34 AM, Loucia said:

At the time of choosing my IB subjects, I chose Self-Taught Language A1 since I thought it would be an "easy" subject. Now I am reconsidering.

As it is titled Self-Taught Language, I thought I would be studying the language itself, the grammar, the verbs etc. but now I am not sure. Is it literature? If so, is it a difficult subject?

The language I chose was danish, since it is my mother tongue, but I was never taught the language properly. My comprehension is good but my writing, not so much. I am considering changing. Plus, I don't think there are many danish people in my country making it difficult to find a tutor. Should I change subjects? What positives does Self-Taught Language bring into the diploma?

Look, i wouldn't say that you are dumb, but an A1 language is group 1, if i am right, meaning that you are doing very hard work. I don't think A1 means A1, A2, ...

Probs change. Im doing FRENCH ABINTION SL self-taught, and it's a bit hard. Not that much, but still.