Should I transfer school? Help me please...

akari

I'm 16 years old and will start IBDP from this September. For starting IBDP, I'm thinking to transfer school because my current school doesn't achieve high results (av. 32). I have already found a school which is perfect for me in terms of subjects and results (av. 36), however, some things make me not to be able to decide whether switch the school. 

I started to live in abroad from last September, so I've been learning in English for only one year. My English is not fluent, but it's becoming better. My current school knows and evaluetes me, and also they say the school is good for me becuase there are few students so that I can receive one-on-one support. I think this is an important thing, but I'm not sure whether I should stay this school. The school I considering to move has about 120 students.

Do you think I shuold transfer school?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 5:33 AM, akari said:

I'm 16 years old and will start IBDP from this September. For starting IBDP, I'm thinking to transfer school because my current school doesn't achieve high results (av. 32). I have already found a school which is perfect for me in terms of subjects and results (av. 36), however, some things make me not to be able to decide whether switch the school. 

I started to live in abroad from last September, so I've been learning in English for only one year. My English is not fluent, but it's becoming better. My current school knows and evaluetes me, and also they say the school is good for me becuase there are few students so that I can receive one-on-one support. I think this is an important thing, but I'm not sure whether I should stay this school. The school I considering to move has about 120 students.

It depends on what your target is. 

The size of the class will be one criteria for the ib students. (the small size is obviously beneficial for the students cuz the teachers are more close to them compared to the large class.)

of course, the average point is important to get a higher grade in the future but ib is more like a personal engagement so basically it's up to you! (my school average point this year was like 38. some got 45 or over 40 and some got lower than 35.)

Also, a high average point doesn't necessary mean the quality of the school is good. So, make sure that you will be able to actually see that school or students or whatever by yourself before you make a decision. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by mylifeisib

On 7/1/2021 at 10:03 AM, akari said:

My old school average at Cs in IGCSE. However, some of us managed to graduate with A+ averages. And when the average isn't that huge of a difference (less than 5 points), your grade will depend less on which school and more on how efficiently you work and how much time you're willing to put into school. 

One-on-one support is a huge boon, trust me. Especially in some IB subjects. Also, I think your school is fine for you because your English is pretty good considering it's your first year! 

However, there could be other factors you haven't mentioned here such as tuition and the general student attitudes. In the end, it's your decision to make.

I wish you luck!

On 7/22/2021 at 12:55 AM, ZBSA said:

My old school average at Cs in IGCSE. However, some of us managed to graduate with A+ averages. And when the average isn't that huge of a difference (less than 5 points), your grade will depend less on which school and more on how efficiently you work and how much time you're willing to put into school. 

One-on-one support is a huge boon, trust me. Especially in some IB subjects. Also, I think your school is fine for you because your English is pretty good considering it's your first year! 

However, there could be other factors you haven't mentioned here such as tuition and the general student attitudes. In the end, it's your decision to make.

I wish you luck!

Thank you for advising me. But stupidly I have already decided to move school before reading ur response. And since I read your reply, I want to back to my previous school😅 Anyway there's no way turning back now so I will do my best! Thank you!!

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 6:26 PM, mylifeisib said:

It depends on what your target is. 

The size of the class will be one criteria for the ib students. (the small size is obviously beneficial for the students cuz the teachers are more close to them compared to the large class.)

of course, the average point is important to get a higher grade in the future but ib is more like a personal engagement so basically it's up to you! (my school average point this year was like 38. some got 45 or over 40 and some got lower than 35.)

Also, a high average point doesn't necessary mean the quality of the school is good. So, make sure that you will be able to actually see that school or students or whatever by yourself before you make a decision. 

Hope this helps. 

I decided to transfer school, but I regret a little now as seeing your reply. Anyhow I will try to do my best for rest of two years, Thank you for advising me!!

• Like 1