Math IA Help Needed

axora_25

basically, my teacher is asking us to come up with 3 possible SL math IA topics. so far, i have 1:

• determining the number of wishes a player would have to spend on average, to achieve a 5-star character or weapon, taking into account the mechanics of the game (e.g. increasing rates based on failure)
    • the game i'm using is Genshin Impact, i'm not sure if this is doable though

i was also thinking of doing something related to prime numbers, or sudoku, but i'm not entirely sure. i heard that game theory is difficult to do, and not many people score well, so i'm debating whether or not to use the probability one. if anyone can list some suggestions or give me advice on the one i listed above, that'd be great! thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 6:50 PM, axora_25 said:

basically, my teacher is asking us to come up with 3 possible SL math IA topics. so far, i have 1:

• determining the number of wishes a player would have to spend on average, to achieve a 5-star character or weapon, taking into account the mechanics of the game (e.g. increasing rates based on failure)
    • the game i'm using is Genshin Impact, i'm not sure if this is doable though

i was also thinking of doing something related to prime numbers, or sudoku, but i'm not entirely sure. i heard that game theory is difficult to do, and not many people score well, so i'm debating whether or not to use the probability one. if anyone can list some suggestions or give me advice on the one i listed above, that'd be great! thanks

I would decide on a better one, not saying yours is not good, it seems like it might be a little hard to do. As you only have limited time to actually do your IA, it is important that you choose a topic that you are able to do in the time period. 

10 hours ago, White_Jamal said:

What are you questions?

I have questions about math IA. 

My maths teacher told me statistics is the easiest topic in ib maths, at least in maths AI HL. So, I chose statistics. (I didn't have other topic that I want to deeply study...)

Then I thought the economic growth rate can be measured by maths. (like economic growth rate, gdp, gnp, etc) However, I also realised that it doesn't actually apply any mathematical concepts, so there is just calculation stuff which is too simple I think.

But do you think this idea still works in maths IA? (in hl ai maths)

My plan is to compare some combinations of both developing and developed countries. (i.e. the counties that have an opposite change in the economy then see how the population changes over time in both countries.)

My simple prediction for this relationship is that the population increases when the economy grows well. (It's simply because if society becomes rich then people can afford to have children or there is even better social care or something...)

So, I'm trying to mathematically explain how this result is happened but I'm not sure what theories or concepts I can apply for this. (from the statistics)

Do you have any advises to me?

Edited by mylifeisib

10 hours ago, mylifeisib said:
I have questions about math IA. 

My maths teacher told me statistics is the easiest topic in ib maths, at least in maths AI HL. So, I chose statistics. (I didn't have other topic that I want to deeply study...)

Then I thought the economic growth rate can be measured by maths. (like economic growth rate, gdp, gnp, etc) However, I also realised that it doesn't actually apply any mathematical concepts, so there is just calculation stuff which is too simple I think.

But do you think this idea still works in maths IA? (in hl ai maths)

My plan is to compare some combinations of both developing and developed countries. (i.e. the counties that have an opposite change in the economy then see how the population changes over time in both countries.)

My simple prediction for this relationship is that the population increases when the economy grows well. (It's simply because if society becomes rich then people can afford to have children or there is even better social care or something...)

So, I'm trying to mathematically explain how this result is happened but I'm not sure what theories or concepts I can apply for this. (from the statistics)

Do you have any advises to me?

So, firstly when you are doing a math IA, you have to have a way to obtain data. I assume you will find websites that can give you this information. That is your first goal. Find the data for your topic to ensure that you can do it. I think that your the idea is pretty cool, I would never have thought about it, but you must realize that the size of the country is going to have some affect because a small country can have an unexpected economic growth, and people might want to increase but if there is no room for those people than the population can't get any bigger. If the population can't get bigger than the economic growth rate would stay consist. Those are just something to think about. I really like the idea, just make sure that it is possible, like find data and see if you are able to solve it with math. Remember, the math does not have to be extreme it just has to be something you learned in the course. So it can be standard deviation, or mean. That is still math you can use.