Should I take biology HL in IB?

Uxue

I'm currently studying 9th grade in Spain at the british program and I want to do IB at the end of highschool. I am planning on taking:

English lang&lit HL

German B SL

Global politics HL

Psychology SL

Application and interpretation SL

Now the issue comes to the science I pick. I'm not a very sciency person but I'm really interested in psychology and I do see it as an option for uni. I've read a little bit about it and people say that it is quite important to take biology for psychology. Biology is not one of my strengths and I'm not keen on it at all. A couple of weeks ago, I was planning on taking Sports, exercise & health science because I am interested in nutrition and overall health. I'm not sure if I should take Bio HL because I don't want to close any doors for myself in uni but I don't want it to be the reason I don't get my diploma. I am for sure not keen on dissecting anything and as a vegetarian I find it pretty repugnant. I'm alright with memorizing stuff. For other sciences such as chemistry or physics, those are also not my strengths whatsoever. Apart from psychology, I'm interested in communication, administration and ethics. My older brother took Bio HL in IB and he got a 5. He didn't find it too hard and he isn't the most sciency person either. I still have lots of time to figure it out but I could really use some advice. 

On 3/16/2021 at 7:02 PM, Uxue said:

I'm currently studying 9th grade in Spain at the british program and I want to do IB at the end of highschool. I am planning on taking:

English lang&lit HL

German B SL

Global politics HL

Psychology SL

Application and interpretation SL

Now the issue comes to the science I pick. I'm not a very sciency person but I'm really interested in psychology and I do see it as an option for uni. I've read a little bit about it and people say that it is quite important to take biology for psychology. Biology is not one of my strengths and I'm not keen on it at all. A couple of weeks ago, I was planning on taking Sports, exercise & health science because I am interested in nutrition and overall health. I'm not sure if I should take Bio HL because I don't want to close any doors for myself in uni but I don't want it to be the reason I don't get my diploma. I am for sure not keen on dissecting anything and as a vegetarian I find it pretty repugnant. I'm alright with memorizing stuff. For other sciences such as chemistry or physics, those are also not my strengths whatsoever. Apart from psychology, I'm interested in communication, administration and ethics. My older brother took Bio HL in IB and he got a 5. He didn't find it too hard and he isn't the most sciency person either. I still have lots of time to figure it out but I could really use some advice. 

I say take what you're interested in. Unless the uni course you're looking for specifically requires Bio, it's better to do what you like. It will make four hours a week and much more enjoyable, biology isn't that important in psychology (and Pamoja is pretty good at explaining stuff anyway), and if push comes to shove, you can always take a six month Tafe course.

On 3/18/2021 at 3:27 PM, Firewolf3456 said:

I say take what you're interested in. Unless the uni course you're looking for specifically requires Bio, it's better to do what you like. It will make four hours a week and much more enjoyable, biology isn't that important in psychology (and Pamoja is pretty good at explaining stuff anyway), and if push comes to shove, you can always take a six month Tafe course.

Yeah im honestly not very keen on biology but i just don't want to close any opportunities and if i do take biology hl that means i would be able to take German B sl instead of hl because I'm sure i wouldn't be able to handle that.