Stuck with my IA

lorenzo_navasg

Hi there! I'll be quick about it, I'm modelling the phases of the moon as my Maths IA because my teacher forced me to do this topic. I had done a great IA abut the Coastline Paradox but my teacher forgot that I told him about it and he gave the topic to another student so now I have to redo my entire IA. I just don't get how I can get a 16 page IA from this topic, essentially I just have to take pictures of the moon and model how much of it is visible but apart from that? I mean he insists that I can explore in Geogebra but I just don't even know where to start from. And it makes no sense to me because the answer of my essay is easily a sine function so anything outside of that is irrelevant so why should i do it? Any help is really appreciated and thank you beforehand to anyone that helps

On 2/7/2021 at 5:20 PM, lorenzo_navasg said:

Hi there! I'll be quick about it, I'm modelling the phases of the moon as my Maths IA because my teacher forced me to do this topic. I had done a great IA abut the Coastline Paradox but my teacher forgot that I told him about it and he gave the topic to another student so now I have to redo my entire IA. I just don't get how I can get a 16 page IA from this topic, essentially I just have to take pictures of the moon and model how much of it is visible but apart from that? I mean he insists that I can explore in Geogebra but I just don't even know where to start from. And it makes no sense to me because the answer of my essay is easily a sine function so anything outside of that is irrelevant so why should i do it? Any help is really appreciated and thank you beforehand to anyone that helps

Hmm... That's pretty cruel of your teacher. 

I have some ideas, and I hope they're helpful. So, during a whole month, it's only the inside of the shape that changes, right? Copy-paste your pictures onto a software like Krita (but it's based on graphic design so a little confusing to use if you're not familiar with it. I'll see if I can find another software that works more easily), and then turn on the grid view. On top of the grid, create x and y axes, after which you can annotate to get coordinates of the inner side. 

Then, make a table of these values in Excel, and select the data to create a scatter plot. On the scatter plot, select a data point and left click to draw the trendline, which you can then format to fit the curve and get the equation of the line.

Do that for like 12 pictures across the month. Record every step of the process through screenshots. At the end, you'll have 12 equations for the 12 pictures. 

Also, a little tip: make up something for the personal engagement criteria. For eg, you used to spend a lot of time looking at the moon with a childhood mentor and have a personal attachment to it or something. That can raise your grade by quite a bit.

I hope this helps! Good luck on your IA and IB!

6 hours ago, ZBSA said:

I have some ideas, and I hope they're helpful. So, during a whole month, it's only the inside of the shape that changes, right? Copy-paste your pictures onto a software like Krita (but it's based on graphic design so a little confusing to use if you're not familiar with it. I'll see if I can find another software that works more easily), and then turn on the grid view. On top of the grid, create x and y axes, after which you can annotate to get coordinates of the inner side. 

I think there's an option of uploading images onto Desmos.com/calculator too. I've never tried it though

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 10:30 AM, ZBSA said:

Hmm... That's pretty cruel of your teacher. 

Then, make a table of these values in Excel, and select the data to create a scatter plot. On the scatter plot, select a data point and left click to draw the trendline, which you can then format to fit the curve and get the equation of the line.

Do that for like 12 pictures across the month. Record every step of the process through screenshots. At the end, you'll have 12 equations for the 12 pictures. 

Also, a little tip: make up something for the personal engagement criteria. For eg, you used to spend a lot of time looking at the moon with a childhood mentor and have a personal attachment to it or something. That can raise your grade by quite a bit.

I hope this helps! Good luck on your IA and IB!

Thanks! I'll deffinetively check this out!

• Like 1