I need serious help!

Person101

Hello. I have been doing pre-IB since last year and I currently in the middle of 10th grade. However I have been recently not doing well. My school model for the COVID 19 is extremely stressful. I have been getting grades between high Cs and low Bs (and even got an F in one of my subjects). My parents are forcing me to leave IB if I don't get high grades. They have been giving me these threats since last year. I keep yelling at them telling them that it's not their place to decide, but they are really insistent about it. I get worried that they are serious and I don't know what to do. Tonight, they said that they'll look at my report card in February and they'll make me drop it if it is not A's. I am already stressed enough about the work itself. Now I have to prove to them that I am worth doing IB?! I don't know what to do. I know that the grades I have aren't good. I do not want to drop IB. Please help! What do I do in order to convince them to let me stay in IB???

Edited by LanaBanana

If I were you, I would make a list about the reasons why I should study the IB programme and the reasons I shouldn't. Make sure the first point has more reasons and they must be convincing. Something I have learned this year is that the grades are not important. The IB is a long run, you can't pretend to do as fast as you can, but you should never stop. The grades that really matter are the ones you obtain at the end of thr programme.

I used to be the best at class, but now I struggle to pass. I know that I can't stop working. If I study all the days a little, I would pass the IB programme.

Sorry for my English, I'm from Spain.

I hope I've helped you. Good luck!

2 hours ago, _emmma_ said:

If I were you, I would make a list about the reasons why I should study the IB programme and the reasons I shouldn't. Make sure the first point has more reasons and they must be convincing. Something I have learned this year is that the grades are not important. The IB is a long run, you can't pretend to do as fast as you can, but you should never stop. The grades that really matter are the ones you obtain at the end of thr programme.

I used to be the best at class, but now I struggle to pass. I know that I can't stop working. If I study all the days a little, I would pass the IB programme.

Sorry for my English, I'm from Spain.

I hope I've helped you. Good luck!

Thank you. However, my parents know the reasons why I study IB. Also I've tried telling them subtly and not-so-subtly that grades are not important but they would not listen.

Maybe show them some videos on YouTube about why studying the IB is one of the best options. You could also go through the different subjects with them and try and compromise by taking subjects they would prefer you to take (and are maybe slightly easier). I would really try to find a compromise if possible and if that's not possible then maybe go to your school counselor and talk to them about this. They could help you.

Hope that helps.

3 minutes ago, Indiaca said:

Maybe show them some videos on YouTube about why studying the IB is one of the best options. You could also go through the different subjects with them and try and compromise by taking subjects they would prefer you to take (and are maybe slightly easier). I would really try to find a compromise if possible and if that's not possible then maybe go to your school counselor and talk to them about this. They could help you.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, but again, they already know the benefits of IB. They say that they'd prefer me to excel in the regular program than to fail in IB. They prefer me to take geography as it is easier than history, and I might take it, even though I hate geography (I don't know, I might stick to history). Also, the only way for me to talk to my guidance counsellor at this time is via email, and my parents would know when I send emails.

1 hour ago, LanaBanana said:

Thank you, but again, they already know the benefits of IB. They say that they'd prefer me to excel in the regular program than to fail in IB. They prefer me to take geography as it is easier than history, and I might take it, even though I hate geography (I don't know, I might stick to history). Also, the only way for me to talk to my guidance counsellor at this time is via email, and my parents would know when I send emails.

How would they know you send your emails? And anyway they could know about this, right? Cause you would still probably tell them that like 'I emailed my counsellor and they think I should stay' or something, right?

1 minute ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

How would they know you send your emails? And anyway they could know about this, right? Cause you would still probably tell them that like 'I emailed my counsellor and they think I should stay' or something, right?

That's a story for another day. They would prefer me to tell them ahead of time whenever I speak to a counsellor. Under normal circumstances, I could manage to schedule an interview without them knowing but it's harder for me to do that now. They would prefer me to not speak of it to anyone. That is partly why I reached out here; they don't know that I am on the IB Forum.