Internal Assessment Marking and Information given to Students

ASChamp

Hello Everyone.

My teachers are telling us that we cannot get our IA/EE/TOK marks. When I read a few other threads, I realized that (at least I inferred that) other people know their internal marks. That's why I wanted to ask this:

Are we allowed to get our IA,EE, TOK marks before they go to IB? What all information are the teachers supposed to give us (like whether our papers are going to moderation or not, and so on) related to the internal exams (including TOK, EE)? How much feedback can we get from teachers (because they are also setting a limit on that)?

It's really weird because our teachers are telling us that they can't even tell us if we did well or not, and my friends and I are really getting concerned about our marks (obviously). If the teachers aren't giving our marks as they're supposed to, is there anything I can do?

Thank you!

On 1/14/2021 at 3:44 PM, ASChamp said:

Hello Everyone.

My teachers are telling us that we cannot get our IA/EE/TOK marks. When I read a few other threads, I realized that (at least I inferred that) other people know their internal marks. That's why I wanted to ask this:

Are we allowed to get our IA,EE, TOK marks before they go to IB? What all information are the teachers supposed to give us (like whether our papers are going to moderation or not, and so on) related to the internal exams (including TOK, EE)? How much feedback can we get from teachers (because they are also setting a limit on that)?

It's really weird because our teachers are telling us that they can't even tell us if we did well or not, and my friends and I are really getting concerned about our marks (obviously). If the teachers aren't giving our marks as they're supposed to, is there anything I can do?

Thank you!

Hey!

Well, I think it depends to a great extent on the teachers, unfortunately. Many of our teachers aren't giving us a lot of information and tips/advice what we can improve (PM me if you wanna discuss that cause I'd rather not talk about it in public, even here, but we could perhaps compare what it's like becuase I'm also quite concerned about this).

I think what you know about your IA/EE/TOK also depends on the teachers. Regarding EE and TOK essay I'd say you can know the mark your teacher gave you because it's essentially just prediction (as they are externally marked by the IBO, not by your teachers) so the grade they give you doesn't matter. It's the same with the predicted grades at the end of IBY2 that are sent to the IB before the final exams - these were the grades that were taken into account in M20 when the final exams were cancelled - and I'm sure you can know these ones (as again, it's just a prediction) and for example in Poland these are the grades we get on our High School Diploma (that students studying Polish Baccalaureate get with their grades, it's just something national), so we know those grades and I think it's similar with EE and TOK essay.

So regarding IAs (and TOK presentation), it's different, I think, as they are internally marked, so I think the teachers shouldn't tell us the grades they give us for that BUT e.g. I know that it again might depend on the teacher and some might do something like 'mock marking' so after submitting the first draft, they might give marks as if they were grading (so e.g. 2 points in criterion A etc.), but that's not your final mark ofc cause then you get the draft back to improve it.

Regarding how much feedback we can get, I think the requirement is like 1 full draft meaning the teacher reads it and gives the feedback, how detailed depends on the teacher again. And then they might do nothing more, some may decide to do another draft so reading the paper again and some that you can just ask some specific questions. It all depends, really.

And when it comes to which of your papers went to moderation, you will be able to check that on your account on the IB website (I believe the one you will upload some of your papers to and receive the results).

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 6:23 AM, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Hey!

Well, I think it depends to a great extent on the teachers, unfortunately. Many of our teachers aren't giving us a lot of information and tips/advice what we can improve (PM me if you wanna discuss that cause I'd rather not talk about it in public, even here, but we could perhaps compare what it's like becuase I'm also quite concerned about this).

I think what you know about your IA/EE/TOK also depends on the teachers. Regarding EE and TOK essay I'd say you can know the mark your teacher gave you because it's essentially just prediction (as they are externally marked by the IBO, not by your teachers) so the grade they give you doesn't matter. It's the same with the predicted grades at the end of IBY2 that are sent to the IB before the final exams - these were the grades that were taken into account in M20 when the final exams were cancelled - and I'm sure you can know these ones (as again, it's just a prediction) and for example in Poland these are the grades we get on our High School Diploma (that students studying Polish Baccalaureate get with their grades, it's just something national), so we know those grades and I think it's similar with EE and TOK essay.

So regarding IAs (and TOK presentation), it's different, I think, as they are internally marked, so I think the teachers shouldn't tell us the grades they give us for that BUT e.g. I know that it again might depend on the teacher and some might do something like 'mock marking' so after submitting the first draft, they might give marks as if they were grading (so e.g. 2 points in criterion A etc.), but that's not your final mark ofc cause then you get the draft back to improve it.

Regarding how much feedback we can get, I think the requirement is like 1 full draft meaning the teacher reads it and gives the feedback, how detailed depends on the teacher again. And then they might do nothing more, some may decide to do another draft so reading the paper again and some that you can just ask some specific questions. It all depends, really.

And when it comes to which of your papers went to moderation, you will be able to check that on your account on the IB website (I believe the one you will upload some of your papers to and receive the results).

Hope this helps!

Hey ChocolateAndVanilla, thanks for your reply. I wasn't able to read it sooner because I had some other deadlines and examinations going on. 

I do want to get in touch to discuss this. I do not know how to PM people, so it would be great if you could tell me how to do that.

To be honest, I have never even used my IB account (I was in MYP and my previous school was literally dog****, so they did not even give us our MYP logins, so we relied on them to give us our scores. That school hated my guts, even though I got the highest marks for most of the year. I'm pretty sure they did something. For example, they provided the computers for the E-assessment, but mine malfunctioned. I lost 30+ mins, and they didn't let me submit my paper for re-eval. But I'm digressing). So idk about which papers go for moderation and which don't. According to my school, they'll send the papers, and we won't get to know... I think its quite unfair according to what you say. A point I will raise asap. 

The thing is, our school is extremely reluctant to give us any marks, not even our predictives for Y2. Frankly, a lot of my friends and I got pissed about this. But, if you say that it doesn't matter, then I think I could possibly bring this point up and try to persuade them to give us at least an estimate (that's really all I want). Our teachers don't even give us mock marks xD. We had a mock presentation for TOK on a COMPLETELY UNRELATED topic to our finals (no one could take it for their finals either). They STILL didn't give us marks for that. It is very odd.

Lastly, we are being told that ALL our papers FOR ALL students will go for moderation. Is that true? Also, we are being told that the School will upload the IAs by Start of Feb. I think that's hilarious because less than 25% of my classmates started anything. Is this true too? I've heard that IB accepts IAs until March or something. But again, I want to get in touch through PM to discuss this further. Please let me know how to PM.

Thank you for your help!

On 1/16/2021 at 3:53 AM, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Hey!

Hope this helps!

Hi, for the ones who are going to have ib exam in 2021, here is the WhatsApp link that you would like to join our fruitful discussions about ib :)  

https://chat.whatsapp.com/E5DMfJ67q5QBLLH80XN2Bc 

•