Remark in EE and TOK (and possibly Chemistry

Emre

Hello everyone,

Two weeks ago I received my results from the IB and both my EE and TOK grades are only one point away from the next boundary. My predicted for both were A and I received C from both. I have asked both my EE supervisor and my TOK teacher whether I should get them remarked or not and they have both said that there would be a decent chance of me getting one more point. However I am still not sure whether it would be worth it or not. I am also considering getting a remark in chemistry since I am 2 points away from the next boundary (my predicted was 6 but I got 5). However, when I asked my chemistry teacher, he didn't give me full answer and avoided the question and later told the class a remark would be worth it for even 3 points. I am also unsure about chemistry since our school couldn't do the exams due to COVID and we were graded solely on our IAs and predicted grades (I have also read that the IB uses our school's previous predicted-actual grade ratio in their algorithm).  I believe I could get a higher grade from all of them since I am really close to the next boundary and hence if I were to lose a few points my grade wouldn't change I would just lose my money. What would you suggest? Should I get them remarked?

Thanks in advance!

PS: my EE is in physics and I am a N20 student

2 hours ago, Emre said:

Hello everyone,

Two weeks ago I received my results from the IB and both my EE and TOK grades are only one point away from the next boundary. My predicted for both were A and I received C from both. I have asked both my EE supervisor and my TOK teacher whether I should get them remarked or not and they have both said that there would be a decent chance of me getting one more point. However I am still not sure whether it would be worth it or not. I am also considering getting a remark in chemistry since I am 2 points away from the next boundary (my predicted was 6 but I got 5). However, when I asked my chemistry teacher, he didn't give me full answer and avoided the question and later told the class a remark would be worth it for even 3 points. I am also unsure about chemistry since our school couldn't do the exams due to COVID and we were graded solely on our IAs and predicted grades (I have also read that the IB uses our school's previous predicted-actual grade ratio in their algorithm).  I believe I could get a higher grade from all of them since I am really close to the next boundary and hence if I were to lose a few points my grade wouldn't change I would just lose my money. What would you suggest? Should I get them remarked?

Thanks in advance!

PS: my EE is in physics and I am a N20 student

I would say it depends how much you want these grades to be changes - I mean ofc everyone wants to have higher grades, but are you satissfied with your overall result? do you need higher grades for university? if that's the case, then I would surely apply for remark, but if not, I'd think it through cause it does cost (quite a lot of) money. but if you decide to, I'd say being 1 mark or 2 marks away from the higher boundary gives you a decent chance of getting a higher grade :)

On 1/13/2021 at 2:35 PM, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

I would say it depends how much you want these grades to be changes - I mean ofc everyone wants to have higher grades, but are you satissfied with your overall result? do you need higher grades for university? if that's the case, then I would surely apply for remark, but if not, I'd think it through cause it does cost (quite a lot of) money. but if you decide to, I'd say being 1 mark or 2 marks away from the higher boundary gives you a decent chance of getting a higher grade :)

Thanks for replying! My final grade was 5 points lower than my predicted, which was the reason I considered a remark in the first place. However, My final grade was still good for me and as you have also mentioned I wished it had been higher. Last Friday I sent all three for remarks. The next morning the results for my remark on Chemistry and EE came and they had not changed (I was really surprised how quick the results came since it had only been a day). Upon seeing these I thought my TOK grade wouldn't increase either or even if it did it would have had to increase from C to A since my EE grade stayed as C and BC gives the same amount of points as CC. Yesterday I received the results for my TOK remark and it increased to A! I was really surprised and my final grade increased by one point. I am satisfied with my results now ofc I would have preferred for it to be higher but it seems to enough for the unis I am applying to. I am glad that I sent it for a remark though. If I hadn't it TOK would have stayed as C and I would have kept on wondering whether I could have gotten a better grade or not so I am happy with the way things turned out. 

TL;DR: EE and Chemistry didn't change, TOK increased from C to A. I was happy with my results before. Now I am even more happy with my results and knowing that I tried and got to see what would happen.  

Edited by Emre

On 1/21/2021 at 9:19 AM, Emre said:

Thanks for replying! My final grade was 5 points lower than my predicted, which was the reason I considered a remark in the first place. However, My final grade was still good for me and as you have also mentioned I wished it had been higher. Last Friday I sent all three for remarks. The next morning the results for my remark on Chemistry and EE came and they had not changed (I was really surprised how quick the results came since it had only been a day). Upon seeing these I thought my TOK grade wouldn't increase either or even if it did it would have had to increase from C to A since my EE grade stayed as C and BC gives the same amount of points as CC. Yesterday I received the results for my TOK remark and it increased to A! I was really surprised and my final grade increased by one point. I am satisfied with my results now ofc I would have preferred for it to be higher but it seems to enough for the unis I am applying to. I am glad that I sent it for a remark though. If I hadn't it TOK would have stayed as C and I would have kept on wondering whether I could have gotten a better grade or not so I am happy with the way things turned out. 

TL;DR: EE and Chemistry didn't change, TOK increased from C to A. I was happy with my results before. Now I am even more happy with my results and knowing that I tried and got to see what would happen.  

Wow, that's great then! I'm glad it worked well for you with TOK :)