How can I get a decent grade in ib

I’m a grade 10 student, currently thinking of taking HL English B, mai, biology and chemistry together with SL Chinese A and ESS in my future ib diploma.

I’m quite insecure about the learning mode in high school, I don’t know how I should study if I would like to aim for a 43-44.

As I’ve been told by my teachers and friends, ib is so much about philosophy, and students have to participate in an active role during the whole process of acquiring knowledge. 

I am worried about writing essays and reports. As you can see (oh, well), I’m not a very fluent English speaker, along with my introverted personality and sometimes lost mind, I’m afraid I’ll not be able to handle my coursework in my high school.

How can I overcome all these? And do memorisation and drillings help a lot(I mean A LOT)? Help... 

6 hours ago, I_l0ve_pegasus said:

I’m a grade 10 student, currently thinking of taking HL English B, mai, biology and chemistry together with SL Chinese A and ESS in my future ib diploma.

I’m quite insecure about the learning mode in high school, I don’t know how I should study if I would like to aim for a 43-44.

As I’ve been told by my teachers and friends, ib is so much about philosophy, andstudents have to participate in an active role during the whole process of acquiring knowledge. 

I am worried about writing essays and reports. As you can see (oh, well), I’m not a very fluent English speaker, along with my introverted personality and sometimes lost mind, I’m afraid I’ll not be able to handle my coursework in my high school.

How can I overcome all these? And do memorisation and drillings help a lot(I mean A LOT)? Help... 

Hey!

That's a better choice for your subjects, but, again (as I said in your other post), having 4 HLs will make it harder for you, maybe consider taking Maths AA SL (instead of AI HL)? Unless you're applying for med at Cambridge, just an idea, though.

So I think the difficulty of the IB is often exaggerates - you do need good time management and organisation skills and study systmatically, however, you can succeed even without this and IB will surely teach you all those skills which will be useful for uni. My subjects are Bio, Chem and Eng B HL and Maths AA, Polish A and Geography SL.

First of all, you can get the score you want by simply studying for each subject as they all combine to the score, there is no special formula for getting 40+ as opposed to e.g. 30+, it's just the hardwork and smart studying. So here are my tips for your subjects

Both Chem and Bio HL aren't that hard, I'd say, I am easily getting 7s and I was never a genius in those subjects (I have never won any international or even national olympiad or anything of that kind), for those subjects you can really learn everything you need by making in depth notes from different sources, i.e. different online sources and textbooks and doing past papers, no need to buy paper versions though, especially since you will be probably making notes on computer and not on paper (I mean that saves a lot of time), so sometimes it's easier to copy and paste something from a pdf version of a textbook than rewrite it from a paper version. I'd advise only buying maybe 1 textbook in all subjects if you think you study better from paper than the screen so you can use that for studying from the textbook, not making notes specifically. So when it comes to the textbooks, for Bio, I really like Pearson Course Companion (but Oxford is nice as well) and definitely BioNinja (a website), for Chem I'd say Pearson Course Companion and Oxford Study Guide are great, as is Richard Thornley's channel on youtube.

For Maths, I'm taking AA SL, but the general tip for Maths I'd say is do all the assigned homework - really, in my IB1, my teacher would give us like 5 pages of exercises for the next day as homework and always said 'do as much as you can' and I always did all of it (if not for the next day, then later, but all of it) and it really improved my grades. Studying for whatever test is just doing exercises, I'd say, have a routine of doing a set number of exercises/questions from questionbank a day at least in IB1 (when things aren't that intense) and it will create a solid base for studying in IB2 and then revising for exams.

I'm not really studying for English B tbh, but best thing to do is practise writing and reading skills and read the books very thoroughly.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, let me know and I'll be more than happy to answer :)

• Like 1