Does taking English as a group 2 subject affect my university application (medicine)

So I’m a desperate student from Hong Kong, currently in my secondary 3 (equivalent to grade 10 in the uk). I have been struggling between the local curriculum and ib lately, as I will have to make my decision within a few months and I am quite concerned about the ib curriculum.

Here comes the problem. I aspire to be a doctor in the future, and as local med schools all require a 43-45 for an offer, so I’m also considering uk colleges, like ucl, Cambridge and Oxford, as a back-up plan.

I’m a confident Chinese speaker, but not that of English. It’s certain that I would not take the Chinese A+English A diploma, so I am thinking of Chinese A+English B HL (and I’ll be taking 4 HLs). There are rumours out there saying that taking English as a group 2 subject would slash the chance of successful medical school application, and that’s one essential reason for me to choose my future curriculum. Can anyone tell me if taking English A is really that important for medicine? 

sorry for any grammatical errors.

Edited by I_l0ve_pegasus
2 hours ago, I_l0ve_pegasus said:

So I’m a desperate student from Hong Kong, currently in my secondary 3 (equivalent to grade 10 in the uk). I have been struggling between the local curriculum and ib lately, as I will have to make my decision within a few months and I am quite concerned about the ib curriculum.

Here comes the problem. I aspire to be a doctor in the future, and as local med schools all require a 43-45 for an offer, so I’m also considering uk colleges, like ucl, Cambridge and Oxford, as a back-up plan.

I’m a confident Chinese speaker, but not that of English. It’s certain that I would not take the Chinese A+English A diploma, so I am thinking of Chinese A+English B HL (and I’ll be taking 4 HLs). There are rumours out there saying that taking English as a group 2 subject would slash the chance of successful medical school application, and that’s one essential reason for me to choose my future curriculum. Can anyone tell me if taking English A is really that important for medicine? 

that's a very stupid rumour honestly - UK med schools (and probably unis in general) don't care about the subjects you take unless you meet the requirements, so most med schools require Chemistry + one of Biology/Physics/Maths HL (for Cambridge probably two of those will be preferred) and then you could have whatever subjects you want. this is because it is checked by a system, so it just ticks the requirements and you go to the further phase.

IB Lang A courses are hard even for the native speakers of the language (for whom they're designed), let alone for someone not confident with their English skills, so you'll be way better off taking Eng B instead of A.

why take 4 HLs though? what if you don't get into UK med schools (which is extremely competitve although the offers are lower, especially for international students) and will have to rely on getting into local schools? getting a score of 43-45 is hard always, but even harder when you have 4 HLs, why do you want to take Chinese A HL? or is it required in Hong Kong?

also, of course you have much time for this, but think about your UK choices and apply strategically - the rankings don't matter much for medicine (in the UK if that's where you would like to practise) and there are very different requirements and scores you need for different unis, so that would depend on your UCAT and BMAT scores (and possibly IGCSE if you've taken those).

if you have any other questions regarding medicine in the UK, let me know, as I'm quite famiiar with it :)

• Like 1
17 hours ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

that's a very stupid rumour honestly - UK med schools (and probably unis in general) don't care about the subjects you take unless you meet the requirements, so most med schools require Chemistry + one of Biology/Physics/Maths HL (for Cambridge probably two of those will be preferred) and then you could have whatever subjects you want. this is because it is checked by a system, so it just ticks the requirements and you go to the further phase.

IB Lang A courses are hard even for the native speakers of the language (for whom they're designed), let alone for someone not confident with their English skills, so you'll be way better off taking Eng B instead of A.

why take 4 HLs though? what if you don't get into UK med schools (which is extremely competitve although the offers are lower, especially for international students) and will have to rely on getting into local schools? getting a score of 43-45 is hard always, but even harder when you have 4 HLs, why do you want to take Chinese A HL? or is it required in Hong Kong?

also, of course you have much time for this, but think about your UK choices and apply strategically - the rankings don't matter much for medicine (in the UK if that's where you would like to practise) and there are very different requirements and scores you need for different unis, so that would depend on your UCAT and BMAT scores (and possibly IGCSE if you've taken those).

if you have any other questions regarding medicine in the UK, let me know, as I'm quite famiiar with it :)

Thank you for your detailed response! I never expected that :D

Here I mean Chinese A SL + English B HL, sorry for the confusion

The reason why I would like to take 4HLs is that I want to keep myself competitive, +taking MAI at higher level leads me to a variety of uni programme choices (and HL maths is  compulsory for a conditional offer from cuhk)

I don’t want to take MAA, so MAI HL would be a better choice.

I must take HL if I take Eng B (as my school only offers three choices: English A SL/HL or English B HL), but taking the reduced difficulty of group 2 subjects into account, I guess it wouldn’t be a problem.

Again, thank you tons for your response!

On 1/11/2021 at 5:04 PM, I_l0ve_pegasus said:

I honestly don't know but i took English A language and literature. But from research, most uk schools will require you to take the ILETS or TOEFL or other english proficiency test. I'm as clueless as you about that but i believe that you still have a chance with the proficiency test. I hope this helps.

8 hours ago, Grace230 said:

I honestly don't know but i took English A language and literature. But from research, most uk schools will require you to take the ILETS or TOEFL or other english proficiency test. I'm as clueless as you about that but i believe that you still have a chance with the proficiency test. I hope this helps.

Taking English B HL is enough to be an exemption from the proficiency test usually