English A EE, Category 2

Saraker

Hello! I'm really stuck on my Extended Essay and want to get an A really badly, but my supervisor is of no help so I've resorted to here. I'm in my second year of IB and this is gonna be my last draft pleaasse help.
Anyway, I have the research question: "To what extent could one argue the tragic protagonists fail to meet the modern standards of fatherhood in Arthur Miller’s plays, A View from the Bridge and Death of a Salesman?" (PLEASE don't steal this, it's not even good). And so far, I have around 2700 words. In the intro, i talk generally about the two plays and briefly compare them, then I bring up what modern standards are but ehh idk it's not that sophisticated, and lastly, I say how the fathers in both plays fail and bring in a few examples. The supervisor said to bring in critiques and reviews but idk how (help??). Then, I talk about A View from the Bridge, introduce the plot, bring examples to support my RQ, analyse them, and say in the conclusion that Eddie fails to meet the standards. Next, I move on to Death of a Salesman and it's basically the same format. For my conclusion, I sum up the entire essay very briefly. Overall, it feels like a repetitive essay and I hate it. Feedback?

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2020 at 11:19 AM, Saraker said:

Hello! I'm really stuck on my Extended Essay and want to get an A really badly, but my supervisor is of no help so I've resorted to here. I'm in my second year of IB and this is gonna be my last draft pleaasse help.
Anyway, I have the research question: "To what extent could one argue the tragic protagonists fail to meet the modern standards of fatherhood in Arthur Miller’s plays, A View from the Bridge and Death of a Salesman?" (PLEASE don't steal this, it's not even good). And so far, I have around 2700 words. In the intro, i talk generally about the two plays and briefly compare them, then I bring up what modern standards are but ehh idk it's not that sophisticated, and lastly, I say how the fathers in both plays fail and bring in a few examples. The supervisor said to bring in critiques and reviews but idk how (help??). Then, I talk about A View from the Bridge, introduce the plot, bring examples to support my RQ, analyse them, and say in the conclusion that Eddie fails to meet the standards. Next, I move on to Death of a Salesman and it's basically the same format. For my conclusion, I sum up the entire essay very briefly. Overall, it feels like a repetitive essay and I hate it. Feedback?

I don't know if I'd be any help now, but I've started research for my own Language A EE, and here's what I do to get secondary sources:

Go to google.scholar.com . Enter in the name of your book in double quotes, and basically skim through any material that you may be relevant. If it discusses, say persoanl relationships in the plays, read it thoroughly and incorporate that in you essay. Some of the papers available may be subscription-based resources, so you'll have to spend like at least an hour per source, depending on its popularity.

Further, you could search up research papers on how, say, neglect affects children. This, of course, depends on the personality of the fathers in question (I haven't read either play). 

I hope this helps. Good luck! 

• 1 year later...
On 12/18/2020 at 5:49 AM, Saraker said:

Hi - sorry to hear of your troubles.  I would look at the mark scheme and organise your points well. Make sure you not only say/explain your point, but analyse it - use a quote/example/incident to back up what you say - and then look at the impact.  Make EVERY paragraph an A Grade (or the best you can) standard!!! If you think it's not making the impact, then it probably needs tweaking....Practice writing things out in different ways & don't forget to use those metaphors/symbolisms and what they represent.  Have you looked at the context of both these texts? It's interesting to bring in something about the author - and what he is trying to bring to the forefront.

I hope this helps - don't lose hope & you'll get there!! :)