LangLit Cat3 question: "To what extent does X impact Y?" Answer: Very little

NisplayDame

I am writing a Language & Literature Category 3 Extended Essay in which I analyze political victory speeches. My question will be "to what extent does X impact Y?", but I fear that the answer will be "not at all" or "barely." Will not finding anything hurt my essay?

TLDR: LangLit Cat3 EE discovers nothing

When it comes to Social Sciences, which a political victory speech definitely is, there is no clear cut cause-effect result. Unlike the natural sciences which has verifiable and testable cause-effect relationship, the same is very subjective, case dependent and can't be be universalized in social sciences. So the extent to which X impacts Y must be dealt carefully such that you can convince in writing through historic-political contexts and nature of speech, the measure of impact on Y.

Having understood that, I see no reason for your fears. Your topic looks very interesting although I would have personally broadened my scope by analyzing 'political speeches' than 'political victory speeches'. As long as you show research depth and provide good insight through eloquent writing, a 'not at all' or 'barely' should not be an issue. Both barely and not at all are legitimate conclusions to arrive provided there is a proper manner of arriving at it. 

5 hours ago, Chazee373 said:

When it comes to Social Sciences, which a political victory speech definitely is, there is no clear cut cause-effect result. Unlike the natural sciences which has verifiable and testable cause-effect relationship, the same is very subjective, case dependent and can't be be universalized in social sciences. So the extent to which X impacts Y must be dealt carefully such that you can convince in writing through historic-political contexts and nature of speech, the measure of impact on Y.

Having understood that, I see no reason for your fears. Your topic looks very interesting although I would have personally broadened my scope by analyzing 'political speeches' than 'political victory speeches'. As long as you show research depth and provide good insight through eloquent writing, a 'not at all' or 'barely' should not be an issue. Both barely and not at all are legitimate conclusions to arrive provided there is a proper manner of arriving at it. 

Okay, thank you so much.