Should I take Biology HL and English HL?

caz3y

Hi! My school doesn't leave a lot of options for subjects to choose from. I want to study biotechnology in university. The subjects that I have picked so far are:

• Spanish ab initio SL
  • Psychology HL
  • Biology HL
  • Math SL

I have to decide whether to take English HL or Visual Arts HL for my last HL class. The school i'm in isn't in the US so at first I picked English HL, but it seems like it would be hard to have both Biology HL and ENglish HL at the same time. It isn't required to take English HL for us (just recommended). Also, my school doesn't have chemistry as an IB subject.

Edited by caz3y

Hello! Well for starters I would like to ask whether you are talking about English Literature HL or Language and Literature HL as the latter is comparatively simpler than the former and a good option. Visual Arts HL ,considering you are a Bio HL student, may or may not add a lot to your plate ( some people like to focus on photography and more unconventional art techniques rather than traditional ones) but nevertheless the comparative Essays and the actual art pieces take some time for its actual process and thinking about what to create and considering what you wish to study in future I think Math HL is a stronger option for Univ applications if not chemistry.

( these are my subjects for reference and i am not pursuing STEM)

Eng Lan&Lit HL, Spanish Ab, Bio HL, Math SL, Econ HL, Visual Arts SL

9 hours ago, MellowDi said:

Hello! Well for starters I would like to ask whether you are talking about English Literature HL or Language and Literature HL as the latter is comparatively simpler than the former and a good option. Visual Arts HL ,considering you are a Bio HL student, may or may not add a lot to your plate ( some people like to focus on photography and more unconventional art techniques rather than traditional ones) but nevertheless the comparative Essays and the actual art pieces take some time for its actual process and thinking about what to create and considering what you wish to study in future I think Math HL is a stronger option for Univ applications if not chemistry.

( these are my subjects for reference and i am not pursuing STEM)

Eng Lan&Lit HL, Spanish Ab, Bio HL, Math SL, Econ HL, Visual Arts SL

Hi, I'm taking English A Literature. Looking at your classes I think I'll probably have English as my last HL class. I have another question though. Would these classes still be okay if I were to change my mind in what I want to major and if I don't really know what university I want to apply to yet? 

I think too keep ALL options open you rather take Maths HL as some courses specifically demand that and while I dont understand why your school doesnt offer chemistry as its vital for future STEM students but given your situation, i believe certain colleges ( US i believe) offer makeup necessary courses but  my knowledge on that matter isnt sufficient to give you a clear answer

• 3 weeks later...

If I were you, I would take HL Chemistry or Physics instead of Visual Arts (if your school allows it). I would also take HL Math AI instead of psychology since you need to show that you're into sciences if you want to convince universities that you are a good candidate for studying biotechnology. When you say English, I am assuming that you are talking about English A. If this is the case, then there should not be a problem with taking SL English A. SL English A is by no means and easy course. A great amount of proficiency in English is required even in SL English A. While HL Biology is tough, I guess you will have to take it because of what you want to study later. However, I'm sure that you are quite good at biology if you want to study biotechnology later :D