My school doesn't offer Chemistry at any level!

henris

Okay, so I want to study medicine in the future. Problem is, my school only offers Phy/Bio at both levels but no chemistry. And I'm also required to do English b HL. 

So my final choice for HLs would've been: English b, Biology and AA. 

SL: French a, Physics and History.

At this point I'm not even sure if it's worth doing the IB at all. 

it might sound stupid, but do you have any other school which you could consider? (in my city for example there are 2)

if not, there are some unis in the UK for instance which don't require chemistry, but it's definitely a minority, so not taking chemistry definitely limits your choices (if that's the country you have in mind, I'm not sure about the others).

have you spoken to your IB coordinator at school about it? is it possible that they might find the teacher? (that was the case in my school also, we usually had Business Management SL, but not for our year because the teacher stopped working at our school, but since a huge group of people wanted it, they found another teacher)

if that's not possible either and in your national programme you could have chemistry, I would choose this over the IB, honestly as in the end many international qualifications are accepted in the unis and the subject requirements are most important above all. or maybe, if you really want to do the IB, you could go with those subjects (or change them to something easier as you would be taking an 'extra' subject) and take chemistry in your national curriculum as an 'extra' subject?

On 8/10/2020 at 12:53 AM, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

it might sound stupid, but do you have any other school which you could consider? (in my city for example there are 2)

if not, there are some unis in the UK for instance which don't require chemistry, but it's definitely a minority, so not taking chemistry definitely limits your choices (if that's the country you have in mind, I'm not sure about the others).

have you spoken to your IB coordinator at school about it? is it possible that they might find the teacher? (that was the case in my school also, we usually had Business Management SL, but not for our year because the teacher stopped working at our school, but since a huge group of people wanted it, they found another teacher)

if that's not possible either and in your national programme you could have chemistry, I would choose this over the IB, honestly as in the end many international qualifications are accepted in the unis and the subject requirements are most important above all. or maybe, if you really want to do the IB, you could go with those subjects (or change them to something easier as you would be taking an 'extra' subject) and take chemistry in your national curriculum as an 'extra' subject?

my school wants to offer computer science at both levels before they can offer chemistry at any level and that's so confusing to me. they said I can't do chemistry as an extra subject, because our law only allows 42 hours of school per week, and having chemistry means 2-4 extra hours and thats somewhat illegal i guess

now I'm considering doing either my national program that offers all sciences at a "standard level" compared to IB, or going to another IB school thats in english.  

I'm in a French IB school rn so it's easier for me to stay in this school rather than changing to an English one but ill look into it

9 hours ago, henris said:

my school wants to offer computer science at both levels before they can offer chemistry at any level and that's so confusing to me. they said I can't do chemistry as an extra subject, because our law only allows 42 hours of school per week, and having chemistry means 2-4 extra hours and thats somewhat illegal i guess

now I'm considering doing either my national program that offers all sciences at a "standard level" compared to IB, or going to another IB school thats in english.  

I'm in a French IB school rn so it's easier for me to stay in this school rather than changing to an English one but ill look into it

I guess you're probably fluent in English nevertheless (although French might be your 'better' language, right?), well, in my class, literally all people are Polish and none of us is an English native speaker and we're coping with the IB in English, so it should be fine for you too :)