Predicted Grades vs Final Grades

abhi_p02

Hi guys!

I was wondering what top to mid tier universities in IB look at in terms of predicted and final IB exam grades. Do they look at predicted grades more or the final grades? Lets say I'm getting between a 38-41 predicted (With the three points), do the final IB exam scores matter all that much apart from the credits?

Also another question I had was, how is the final grade that they get calculated? Is it just the IB exams and the IA's or do the tests we take in school matter as well?

THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance!

17 hours ago, abhi_p02 said:

Hi guys!

I was wondering what top to mid tier universities in IB look at in terms of predicted and final IB exam grades. Do they look at predicted grades more or the final grades? Lets say I'm getting between a 38-41 predicted (With the three points), do the final IB exam scores matter all that much apart from the credits?

Also another question I had was, how is the final grade that they get calculated? Is it just the IB exams and the IA's or do the tests we take in school matter as well?

THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance!

hi!

it depends on unis, maybe more on the country as they might have different systems. for the UK, you have to send your predicted grades because you apply before you take the final exams (if you don't want to take a gap year) and you get a conditional offer for e.g. 38 points and 766 in HL subjects, that means that in order to go to this uni, you need to have at least 38 points with 766 (final grades). I think it works in a similar way in Canada. for the USA, however, you also send the predictions (but then SAT/ACT scores are more important) and once you get an offer, it's mostly unconditional, so after you write final exams and graduate from high school, you can go and study there (you have to e.g. at least pass the final exams, so get 24/45 points).

when it comes to the final grade, it's the IA and final exams, I don't remember off top of my head exactly, but you can check the exact proprtions in the syllabus of a certain subject, but it might be e.g. 20% the IA, 30% paper 1, 25% paper 2 and 25% paper 3 or something like that.

hope this helps! :)

1 minute ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

hi!

it depends on unis, maybe more on the country as they might have different systems. for the UK, you have to send your predicted grades because you apply before you take the final exams (if you don't want to take a gap year) and you get a conditional offer for e.g. 38 points and 766 in HL subjects, that means that in order to go to this uni, you need to have at least 38 points with 766 (final grades). I think it works in a similar way in Canada. for the USA, however, you also send the predictions (but then SAT/ACT scores are more important) and once you get an offer, it's mostly unconditional, so after you write final exams and graduate from high school, you can go and study there (you have to e.g. at least pass the final exams, so get 24/45 points).

when it comes to the final grade, it's the IA and final exams, I don't remember off top of my head exactly, but you can check the exact proprtions in the syllabus of a certain subject, but it might be e.g. 20% the IA, 30% paper 1, 25% paper 2 and 25% paper 3 or something like that.

hope this helps! :)

Yes Thank you so much!

I am planning on going to the U.S and Canada, and am looking top universities in general. So are you saying that unconditional offers are quite common for the U.S, meaning as long as i don't fail my IB exams I'm fine?

Also, for the SAT, we don't exactly have access this year, and most universities are going test optional! Do you think that will affect my chances at all?

Thanks again, so much!

2 hours ago, abhi_p02 said:

Yes Thank you so much!

I am planning on going to the U.S and Canada, and am looking top universities in general. So are you saying that unconditional offers are quite common for the U.S, meaning as long as i don't fail my IB exams I'm fine?

Also, for the SAT, we don't exactly have access this year, and most universities are going test optional! Do you think that will affect my chances at all?

Thanks again, so much!

no problem, I'm glad I could help!

yes, it should be fine in the US! but they will probably look at predictions as they look at every little qualification they get from you, but it's more like an advantage than a disadvantage, especially that your predictions look quite high :)

I've recently got the idea to apply to the US and I've been told by some people in my country that it's unlikely to get into top unis, like ivy league and other best ones, without SATs even if they are test-optional (unless you have a citizenship/residency and are treated as US student, then it should be fine). I mean I will probably still apply, but I'm mostly considering UK unis, so if you're thinking of it like your dream country to study, I think it's safer to take SATs, at least the general one (without the subject tests). if you don't have access to it, I think you can in a way put it in your application (I'm not sure though), but you can still at least try. but if you have a chance, I'd advise taking it.

also, what unis are you thinking of in Canada?

39 minutes ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

no problem, I'm glad I could help!

yes, it should be fine in the US! but they will probably look at predictions as they look at every little qualification they get from you, but it's more like an advantage than a disadvantage, especially that your predictions look quite high :)

I've recently got the idea to apply to the US and I've been told by some people in my country that it's unlikely to get into top unis, like ivy league and other best ones, without SATs even if they are test-optional (unless you have a citizenship/residency and are treated as US student, then it should be fine). I mean I will probably still apply, but I'm mostly considering UK unis, so if you're thinking of it like your dream country to study, I think it's safer to take SATs, at least the general one (without the subject tests). if you don't have access to it, I think you can in a way put it in your application (I'm not sure though), but you can still at least try. but if you have a chance, I'd advise taking it.

also, what unis are you thinking of in Canada?

We might have an SAT in October, and that too is very likely to get cancelled seeing that Peru is having a steady increase in cases daily. I am really bummed because I haven't taken the SAT before, and on the practice ones, I have gotten a 1380-1450. :( 

I am thinking of going to University of Toronto, UBC or Mcgill. But i would prefer better universities in the U.S due to the job industry being much better. The only thing I don't like about U.K unis is the rigor at which they teach and the very harsh teaching style they impose, but other than that they too have great universities! 

How about you? What are your predicted scores looking like?

1 hour ago, abhi_p02 said:

We might have an SAT in October, and that too is very likely to get cancelled seeing that Peru is having a steady increase in cases daily. I am really bummed because I haven't taken the SAT before, and on the practice ones, I have gotten a 1380-1450. :( 

I am thinking of going to University of Toronto, UBC or Mcgill. But i would prefer better universities in the U.S due to the job industry being much better. The only thing I don't like about U.K unis is the rigor at which they teach and the very harsh teaching style they impose, but other than that they too have great universities! 

How about you? What are your predicted scores looking like?

that is not a bad score at all! I think with some more practice which you have until October, you can get even better.

oh I see, I always wanted to study in the UK, but recently I started to think of other countries which is why I haven't taken SAT. but I've started thinking of Canada since, I think, they don't require anything more, but I don't know the specific unis or the course. I want to study medicine, but, as far as I'm concerned, you can't study medicine at an undergraduate level there, so I have to find another course. what course would you like to study?

I don't have my predicted grades for some of the subjects yet, but I think it's likely to be 41-43. 

4 minutes ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

that is not a bad score at all! I think with some more practice which you have until October, you can get even better.

oh I see, I always wanted to study in the UK, but recently I started to think of other countries which is why I haven't taken SAT. but I've started thinking of Canada since, I think, they don't require anything more, but I don't know the specific unis or the course. I want to study medicine, but, as far as I'm concerned, you can't study medicine at an undergraduate level there, so I have to find another course. what course would you like to study?

I don't have my predicted grades for some of the subjects yet, but I think it's likely to be 41-43. 

My sister is currently in UBC studying Engineering! I would say for medicine, Mcgill and UBC are the top universities in Canada. I am pretty sure you can study the medicine or the components leading up to it in undergrad. 

I want to study Economics/Finance, and I have a 7, 6/7, 6 for my three HL's! So yeah, I was just stressed about the IB exams because I know I won't preform as well as my predicted grades. I suck at comprehensive exams. 

1 hour ago, abhi_p02 said:

My sister is currently in UBC studying Engineering! I would say for medicine, Mcgill and UBC are the top universities in Canada. I am pretty sure you can study the medicine or the components leading up to it in undergrad. 

I want to study Economics/Finance, and I have a 7, 6/7, 6 for my three HL's! So yeah, I was just stressed about the IB exams because I know I won't preform as well as my predicted grades. I suck at comprehensive exams. 

I'll definitely have a look at those! 

me too, unfortunately, but we still have quite some time to study for the final exams! :)