Summer Before Starting IB

Hey!

I'lll be starting the IB, August 2020. I have about two months of freetime so I was wondering if there are any things I can do to prepare myself.

Someone recommended learning the MLA Style citation technique so I'm doing that. I'm also doing a precalculus course on Khan Academy.

My subjects are 

HL math aa

HL economics

HL global politics

SL chemistry

SL english a

SL french b

I've never done economics in my life before. So what would be a good resource (ONLINE!) to study it?

Anything else that IB students need to do during the school year but have no time to do and can do it the summer before?

On 6/1/2020 at 1:09 PM, bluecherrytomato said:

Hey!

I'lll be starting the IB, August 2020. I have about two months of freetime so I was wondering if there are any things I can do to prepare myself.

Someone recommended learning the MLA Style citation technique so I'm doing that. I'm also doing a precalculus course on Khan Academy.

My subjects are 

HL math aa

HL economics

HL global politics

SL chemistry

SL english a

SL french b

I've never done economics in my life before. So what would be a good resource (ONLINE!) to study it?

Anything else that IB students need to do during the school year but have no time to do and can do it the summer before?

Ahh eagerness.  Firstly, Global Politics? What is this trickery?! I wish I could have studied THAT when I was in the IB.

As for Economics, don't bother. The Economics course is designed for people who have never studied it. I never did Economics until I started the IB. The entire first section of the course is literally called "Introduction to Economics". So you will learn everything from scratch.

Like you, I too did some pre-reading before the IB - it was a total waste of time. When I started the iB, my teacher had his own way of teaching us and it was great. I ended up gettting a 7 in Economics HL, if that helps.

For French, Duolingo is fun? It's a good way to learn vocabulary if you already have a background in the subject (I assume you do that's why you're doing SL).

But mostly, don't waste your time pre-studying. You will get enough of it when school actually starts. Read a book, watch Netflix, contemplate the meaning of life post-pandemic.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

Ahh eagerness.  Firstly, Global Politics? What is this trickery?! I wish I could have studied THAT when I was in the IB.

As for Economics, don't bother. The Economics course is designed for people who have never studied it. I never did Economics until I started the IB. The entire first section of the course is literally called "Introduction to Economics". So you will learn everything from scratch.

Like you, I too did some pre-reading before the IB - it was a total waste of time. When I started the iB, my teacher had his own way of teaching us and it was great. I ended up gettting a 7 in Economics HL, if that helps.

For French, Duolingo is fun? It's a good way to learn vocabulary if you already have a background in the subject (I assume you do that's why you're doing SL).

But mostly, don't waste your time pre-studying. You will get enough of it when school actually starts. Read a book, watch Netflix, contemplate the meaning of life post-pandemic.

Oh my gosh. You are my angel. Thank you for replying to both my posts with such clarity.

Thank youuuu.💜💜💜