Psych or Econ? Confusion!

TrynaSurviveIB

Hi Guys,

I am just wondering if I should take Econ or Psych. I wanna go into med and my current subjects (MYP) are Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish. I think most my subjects are content based especially Biology and I wanna choose between Econ and Psych and which ever one i can get a higher score in. Saying that, i am in interested in Psych, however do find it heavily content based and then i have biology(i am thinking of going with bio HL). While, econ is okay but i guess it's more logic. So now, i am really confused which one to take cause both have their pros and cons and I needa get a 7 😬.

Thank You a lot guys!

Hello! I'm also a Pre-IB kid and I take Psych and Biology! 

I do agree that Psych is heavily content-based and does require you to regurgitate information like an encyclopedia. You must know your content as for exams, you will have to answer questions through an essay form. 

I don't find it particularly difficult as a subject since it's mostly just learning content, however, the most difficult aspect is remembering the key studies for specific points in the content that you're currently studying. 

Don't let this deter you though! I honestly do enjoy the subject (though it did take me a little while to warm up to it 😅).

Hopefully, this helps!

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2020 at 3:41 AM, TrynaSurviveIB said:

Hi Guys,

I am just wondering if I should take Econ or Psych. I wanna go into med and my current subjects (MYP) are Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish. I think most my subjects are content based especially Biology and I wanna choose between Econ and Psych and which ever one i can get a higher score in. Saying that, i am in interested in Psych, however do find it heavily content based and then i have biology(i am thinking of going with bio HL). While, econ is okay but i guess it's more logic. So now, i am really confused which one to take cause both have their pros and cons and I needa get a 7 😬.

Thank You a lot guys!

Hey!!!

I think if you're taking Chem and Bio HL (depends on the uni requirements for you, most UK uni's need both of these HL), then make Spanish or English your third HL, and do Econ SL. Because honestly, it is not that bad and it will be nice to have a social science as a change, however that depends on you. If you can talk with your counselor that would help, otherwise, I say Econ. Also, in my school Psych was online, so many many students struggled, so that could be something to take into account. Research more, and try finding students who took Econ or Psych, in HL or SL, whichever you're planning to take. As well as, maybe look at the IB statistics of Econ and Psych grades.

Edited by ybna

18 hours ago, fallingintodepression said:

oh god. I chose econ and now i hate my life. some of my friends are taking psych and they are saying that it is extremely easy. But it depends. you should go for what you are interested on most.

I hope you're okay :((, you'll make it through don't worry! (If you don't already know Jason Welker will save your life!!) One more year left, just push yourself, we all chose subjects we regret but oh well.