Curved lines of best fit

aadeazm

I'm a first year IBDP student learning measurements and uncertainties I was doing past paper questions and their involved questions where you have to draw the line of best fit. In this the line of best fit is a curve. I'm unable to draw a smooth and continuous curve any suggestions or tips on what to do? 

On 5/15/2020 at 12:58 PM, aadeazm said:

I'm a first year IBDP student learning measurements and uncertainties I was doing past paper questions and their involved questions where you have to draw the line of best fit. In this the line of best fit is a curve. I'm unable to draw a smooth and continuous curve any suggestions or tips on what to do? 

Hello, I have a few ideas. Do you think you could post a screenshot of the question here? It will be easier to help that way.

I see. Sometimes your line of best fit will not be a straight line and it is okay. In this case the line of best fit, as you wrote earlier, is a curve. When you draw it, just keep in mind the general guidelines for line of best fit: 1. Draw it so that it passes through the first and the last point. 2. It passes as close to the data points as possible. 

Does this help? If you would like to take a picture of your solution post it here, I will be happy to look at it.

Take care and have a great day! :)

28 minutes ago, aadeazm said:

Thank you so much this was something I was really struggling with. I've attached my solution If my points aren't clear I can highlight them with pen and resend it.

done.jpg

Sure, happy to help :) This looks fine to me, the only thing to change would be to make sure your line passes through the origin (it is a bit off and it seems that your horizontal axis intercept is around 0.5).

Take care and keep up the good Physics work!