getting started on IB?

mahmid19

I wasn't able to do my iGSCEs because of the entire covid situation, so essentially I have summer break already and i've gotten to the point where I just want to do something productive for IB. 

Does anyone know any way that I can start studying for IB a bit early on my own??

My HLs are Maths AA, Eng Lit, Econ

and my SLs are Spanish B, Geo, and Physics

I wanted to try doing Econ early but I think there's a new syllabus that's happening from next year and that's not out yet. 

I honestly don't know how/ where to start.

Edited by mahmid19

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 6:15 AM, mahmid19 said:

I wasn't able to do my iGSCEs because of the entire covid situation, so essentially I have summer break already and i've gotten to the point where I just want to do something productive for IB. 

Does anyone know any way that I can start studying for IB a bit early on my own??

I wanted to try doing Econ early but I think there's a new syllabus that's happening from next year and that's not out yet. 

Hello, I am not sure where exactly your strengths and weaknesses lie, but I would probably get started with Maths and Physics. Maths, because there is a clear list of expected, prior knowledge that you should have before entering a course (just search IB Maths AA Guide and you will find a document with lots of details) and Physics, because even though there is no clear prior knowledge there, it is super-important to have a strong foundation in some of the basics (if you took IGCSE Physics and did well, you should be in a good shape). 

Once you covered the prior knowledge in Maths and revised some Physics, you can even start looking at the syllabus and revising parts that you have learned already (for example, the sine and cosine rules are in the Maths AA syllabus, but most people have learned these before entering IBDP).

A challenge I see in these two subjects with new IBDP students is that exam-style questions are different and more complex than in MYP or IGCSE, so a next step could be to find past exam questions in these subjects online and start looking through their structure and wording.

At the end of each guide (Physics and Maths) you will find a list of command terms that repeatedly come up on exam questions, so another good use of your time is to familiarise yourself with these words (no need to memorize their meaning, just be aware of what they mean).

Finally, calculator: get really familiar (if not already) with some features of your Graphic Display Calculator (usually TI-84 or Nspire, maybe Casio). Just type IB Maths HL calculator skills into Google and you will get various documents. 

I hope this helps, it is awesome that you are already looking ahead and trying to prepare. It will help you a lot during those two busy IB Years.

On 5/7/2020 at 7:15 AM, mahmid19 said:

Hey!

I agree with PeterK that it might be good to revise the prior knowledge for Maths. I don't know about Physics though cause I'm not taking it.

However, on the other hand, I would say you don't need to study for Geo beforehand as it is really easy and there is not much content to learn (especially at SL). You can have a look at the options in any Geo textbook or guide and see which ones you would most enjoy so that when you're choosing them at the beginning of the school year, you already know which ones you would choose (ofc it depends also on the classmates and the teacher). 

I don't think you need to study beforehand for Econ as it is taught from scratch because people don't usually have a chance to take it before the IBDP, so you don't need any pior knowledge.

Hope this helps a bit!