Can I be accepted to Australian universities or not?

Hello! I am a year 10 students who is in the process of choosing for my IBDP subjects. I have gotten interested in doing medicine and the only science subject I could get is biology HL. I couldn’t take chemistry because I didn’t take it in my IGCSE. So do I still have a chance to become a medical student with only bio HL and no chemistry in any Australian universities? Thank you for you answers

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 5/2/2020 at 11:38 PM, Damarion said:

Hello! I am a year 10 students who is in the process of choosing for my IBDP subjects. I have gotten interested in doing medicine and the only science subject I could get is biology HL. I couldn’t take chemistry because I didn’t take it in my IGCSE. So do I still have a chance to become a medical student with only bio HL and no chemistry in any Australian universities? Thank you for you answers

Hello,

Well, to do medicine in Australia, there are a few things that you should know:

1. You need a 45/45 to do med, or don't even think about getting into medicine
  2. You need to do an aptitude test called the UCAT, and you need to get over the 5% of all the people that do it. I'm expecting that you are not in AUS. If so, go to the UCAT website and see if there are any testing venues in your country.
  3. You don't need any prerequisite for medicine in AUS, BUT, it WOULD BE WISE to take English HL, Maths AA SL+, and BIO HL. You don't need chemistry. BIO HL already covers like the first year of studies

Hope this helps!

On 7/20/2021 at 2:17 AM, King_Of_Kings said:

Hello,

Well, to do medicine in Australia, there are a few things that you should know:

1. You need a 45/45 to do med, or don't even think about getting into medicine
  2. You need to do an aptitude test called the UCAT, and you need to get over the 5% of all the people that do it. I'm expecting that you are not in AUS. If so, go to the UCAT website and see if there are any testing venues in your country.
  3. You don't need any prerequisite for medicine in AUS, BUT, it WOULD BE WISE to take English HL, Maths AA SL+, and BIO HL. You don't need chemistry. BIO HL already covers like the first year of studies

Hope this helps!

Hi, just a quick addition to your information. You can also do postgraduate medicine as well by first doing a science degree. But if you are interested in doing undergrad medicine, then 45/45 is required by certain Universities which offer that course.

On 7/26/2021 at 6:00 AM, bigcauliflower said:

Hi, just a quick addition to your information. You can also do postgraduate medicine as well by first doing a science degree. But if you are interested in doing undergrad medicine, then 45/45 is required by certain Universities which offer that course.

Obviously. I just thought that they were probably not bothered to wait for like 4 years to do med.